Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
anyone seen 'death on the run'? >

anyone seen 'death on the run'?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

anyone seen 'death on the run'?

Old 02-25-2002, 07:06 PM

Default anyone seen 'death on the run'?

its a african hunting movie. Bow i dunno how you people feel about african hunting but heres my take. I'm deadset against hunting elephant, rhino and hippo. Why? well, who needs 3 tons of meat? second of all it's not hunting, you need like 10 guys to take down a elephant, and then what? It'sd just a waste. Anyway, in this video, these guys ere hunting hippo and they got one to charge them. this thing was 10 feet away and one guy shoots the thing in the nose which does nothing. When it's about 7 feet away, the other guy shoots it in the head and drops it. Then they finish it off with one more head shot. What do you guys think of this? They walk up to the thing that was chillin in the water, get it pissed by walkin right at it, then it charges and they start blasting! I hope no one thinks that hunting.

PS- wasn't sure what forum to put this in, so here I am
Old 02-25-2002, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anyone seen 'death on the run'?

HAVEN'T SEEN THE VIDEO, BUT I AGREE DOESN'T SOUND LIKE HUNTING, MORE LIKE A SLAUGHTER.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:40 AM

Keep in mind not all African hunting is like this. Some of these guys intentionally wound the animal to provoke a charge, they feel it sells movies, which it probably does. The sporting way to hunt hippos is to position yourself between them and the water, as they come back from a night raiding crops. How is this different from hunting deer? I'd say it's more sporting because they just might come for you.
Elephants are not killed by 10 guys, they're shot by one guy, in the brain, with a very large bullet. They usually die instantly. How is this different from hunting deer? Once again, only because jumbo may come for you if you make a bad shot. Those videos don't accurately portray this type of hunting. They don't showw the three days walking across the dry plains following spoor.
As for the meat, it's not wasted. Some of these countries have millions of starving people, and every scrap is eaten. The whole village joins in with the butchering. The Gov't usually won't allow hunting for natives, they make more money, and practice conservation, by leasing the hunting rights to outfitters. This is often the only meat in their diet, so they are very greatful when somone pops a large animal.
Take a look at some African forums, often the eleephants are raiding crops, and starving a family, so that is why they're shot. Without hunting, whole villages would often starve, as they're not allowed to shoot the elephants, even in self defense. The elephants learn this, and become very dangerous. People or elephants, that's often the choice. Also, an elephant hunt costs upwards of $40,000, usually, so the local economy depends on sport hunting. It's the only way to make the animals pay for themselves. Otherwise, there would be no elephant, except in large national parks.
Please look into this further beefore you let the antics of some clown cloud your viewpoint. Real African hunters look down on these videos the same as you do. The thing is, there's no "nonhunting voters" in Africa, so there's no pressure to keep things in good taste. Hunting is an industry there, so these guys get away with it.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:03 AM

6pt, you hit on the point I was going to make: all the meat is eaten by the locals.
The other point I want to stress is that although the video you saw might be in bad taste, sport hunting of elephants has done more to keep that animal alive. Without the money coming in to hunt them, poachers would be shooting them for their ivory. And their killing is indiscriminate. With hunters, it is managed. In many African countries, there are now more elephants than they care to have. It is only the other countrries that haven't figured out how to manage wildlife where the elephant's population is wavering.
beej
Old 02-26-2002, 12:28 PM

If you don't like that you must hate coyote hunting. Here comes a poor little coyote thinking he's going to going to get an easy meal (a hurt rabbit instead of a ranchers sheep or calf) and some guys shoots him from behind a bush, peels his skin off and leaves the rest for the crows.

I'm trying to be humourously sarcastic here but sometimes it doesn't get across on a forum. These animals are not endangered other wise there would be no legal hunting of them (only poaching). Many of the elephants that are shot are considered nuisance animals (raiding villager's crops) and the meat does get eaten.

We feel we have the right to hunt north american big game and shake our heads in bewildered amazement at people who think we shouldn't. Why would we (as big game hunters) think it is not all right to hunt african big game?

Edited by - DaNewf on 02/26/2002 13:33:15

Edited by - DaNewf on 02/26/2002 13:35:00
Old 02-26-2002, 02:30 PM

actualy i own it but i think it would be alright if they wernt provoking(my opinion)the animals
its not that the animals are charging it that hes forcing them to

Edited by - denclark on 02/26/2002 15:31:33
Old 02-26-2002, 03:57 PM

All I'm saying is that why would you want to spend 40 grand on a "hunt" where you do exactly what the guide says, which is basically don't move until I say shoot, when you could actually hunt, for example, deer or bear or Pronghorn for less then $70 in the states. I dunno, like I said if it's a magagment thing, then I'm all for that...

but seriously I've seen videos of guys hunting Elephant and it really made me mad. There was like 8 guys and they surrounded the elephant, then the guide told the "hunter" to come up and shoot. I hope you guys are right when you say hunting hippo is nothing like what I saw in the video, because man, that was a bit upsetting.

It's different from hunting deer for 1, deer don't have 3 tons of meat on them and 2, deer don't cost 40 grand to hunt and 3, I promise you there is MUCH more deer on this earth then there is elephant and hippo combined, times two. I could have also swore that elephants were pretty close to being on the endangered species list?? Hmm, maybe not.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:00 PM

LHF, There are anntihunting organizations out there that tend to make everyone think that elephants are endangered. I guess my writing skill is apparent as I tried to state this in the last post: Elephants are very numerous in the african countries that manage them for sport hunting. in the countries that don't have sport hunting of elephants, the only way for bush folks to make money is poaching rather than guiding(tracking, skinning, assisting, etc...)

I do agree with you that I don't see the enjoyment of shooting an elephant, however a hippo I think I could, as well as many other species of african animals.

However, I know some people like to shoot these animals so by God, let them. I am ok with it.

DaNewf, I am ok with shooting coyotes too!
beej
Old 02-26-2002, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

DON'T GET ME WRONG I'M ALL FOR HUNTING, AND HELPING THE LOCAL ECOMOMY BUY BUYING TAGS AND DONATING MEAT FROM THE KILL, BUT THERE ARE CERTAIN WAYS OF DOING IT AND PROVOKING AN ANIMAL TO CHARGE YOU IS NOT ONE OF DOING IT. TO ME IT SEEMS TASTELESS.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:46 PM

Beleive me I'm not against it as long as their are numerous animals to hunt. I didn't know Elephants were plentiful throughout africa, and same with hippos so I guess we learn something everyday

I'm with Robb on the provoking the animal to charge, I mean come on, I know that would be one heck of a rush but think of a gamble you would be taking. Is it really worth it?

Quick Reply: anyone seen 'death on the run'?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.