Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Tired of the public land argument >

Tired of the public land argument

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Tired of the public land argument

Old 07-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default Tired of the public land argument

This USO deal has brought up some interesting points but one argument that jumps out that I've never liked is the rights of non-residents and hunting public land. Keep in mind this post is focused in one this one point and nothing else.

I've never understood what public land has to do with drawing tags. THE ANIMALS BELONG TO THE STATE!!! It has nothing to do with the land. The state manages and OWNS the animals, therefore residents of that state should have preference when hunitng and harvesting that animal at least based on this one point. The animal can be on BLM, National Forest, in a State Park or on your buddies ranch and that tag is good for all of them. Why? Because the animal belongs to the state and a tag means that state has given you permission to harvest one of its animals, thats why.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:15 PM

Default RE: Tired of the public land argument

No argument from me on that one! Just hunt New Mexico where the outfitters and landowners got the politicians to institute private land hunting tags. It's big dollars for both and I have been stopped by USO guides lieing about what was private land. Told me they owned a lease on what is absolutely public land. Told them to KMA in front of their clients. The state does own the animals and that has been clearly established. Now USO hires Johnny Cochran to pull a sneaky one through the 9th district court of fools. I see a real war a comin'.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

If we keep leting them drive up tag cost they will take an out of stater before a resident.

I agree with you guys even being an out of state elk hunter you guys in your own state should get first pick.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:56 PM

Public land means nothing because they put no money/effort into maintaining it. Even the fences are maintained by locals (i.e. ranchers who lease the grazing rights are usually required to maintain it). Most COUNTIES in the west maintain roads on FEDERAL lands, so the access used to hunt is often supplied by county tax dollars.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:28 AM

RBH

I'm with you, I keep hearing over and over how "anyone" should be able to hunt national forest, and BLM. WELL THEY CAN!!!!

All they have to do is get a hunting permit from the state to hunt. (just like the residents do) Every one keeps acting like they should be able to go into the NF and BLM and start blasting away because they (US citizen) owns the land. They might own the land but they don't own the animals

GOOD POST!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 03:41 AM
Fork Horn

It's getting to where the gov't not only owns the animals and land but the people as well.
The more people,the more laws.I'm glad I won't be around in a hundred years from now.You would probably have to draw tags to play a hunting video game and charge more for non-res.I'm sure USO would be the name of the game,or wal-mart.
Elkshed
Old 07-30-2004, 09:02 PM

Maybe you should consider another view of federal lands and your so called state game mangagement funding. I am familier with some of the stats from Co. and when a resident pays $30.00 for the same tag I pay $480.00 for, I have serious doubts that many residents taxes are putting $450.00 directly into the DOW's pocket!
Maybe you should look at the DOW's budget and see just how many more MILLIONS of dolllars the non-residents put toward game management than do residents or state and local funding you might be surprised, not to mention the boost to the local economy from their stay in your hotels, their spending at your stores etc. I aggree that a resident should have the larger share of the tags drawn each year but what if you had no non-resident hunter you might not have any DOW. Your game commissions all over the west do a fantastic job of manageing your game animals but they need ALL of us and our money and support to continue. I am getting so tired of this resident /non-resident arguement that accomplishes nothing, we are all hunters wanting to fulfill that same passion, the thrill of the chase, can't we get past the bull and get down the hunting the lands we all own and support!
Old 07-30-2004, 10:06 PM

You might be right about CO but thet non-res dollar stuff sure don't hold in AZ. We have no over the counter tags and no private land tags so the 800 tags paid by non-res isn't squat here.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:06 PM

Tired of the "Public Land" argument?

It's public land. That means you, me and anyone who lives in America can use and enjoy it. The animals that live on it are as tied to it as the trees and grass. Yes, they require management, and that effort is very intensive .. but it is all part of the whole. How can Idaho "own" an animal that can step 3 feet one way and be in Washington? Or do you think an Elk knows if it is an Arizonian or New Mexico bull? Each state "manages" it's little piece of the puzzle man. You aren't a Utahian dude, you are an American. You don't get special rights and privelages over the rest of use because of who issues you a drivers license. Western states "manage" their herds of animals as best they can, and are helped out by the entire country financially to do it. That land is "ours"... not yours.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:35 PM

You are wrong.

In Colorado, the DOW is cash-funded not general funded. In other words, no federal tax dollars (or state tax dollars for that matter) are used to manage the game. Its all from license sales, tickets, etc.

Quick Reply: Tired of the public land argument

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.