Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Gun or bow?

Old 07-19-2004, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Gun or bow?

Ok let me know what would you rather use gun or bow and give reason ?
Old 07-19-2004, 09:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gun or bow?

Elk hunting definetly bow.

#1 - I get to hunt for an five full weeks if I need to.
#2 - I get to hunt elk during their rut. Nothing compares.
#3 - Love the rush of a pissed off bull coming in to kick your butt.
#4 - I get to hunt when the fall leaves are leaving gold, orange, and red all over the mountains.
#5 - I loose about 30 pounds in September.
#6 - No one else bow hunts in my group so I am in the mountains all by my self.

Everything else it does not matter either way.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:42 PM

I prefer Bow hunting for about the same reasons as bigbulls. I do rifle hunt so that I can hunt with some family and friends that don't. I hunt with my bow when I'm serious, hunt with my rifle for social/family enjoyment. (i.e. Cow Elk Hunts)
Old 07-19-2004, 09:42 PM

Depends on the animal. There are very few elk that live outside of Riding Mountain National Park (where no hunting is allowed) during the bow season and it's pretty cold to use a bow during the rifle season (although it is legal).

Bear hunting over bait lends itself to bow hunting so that's a natural choice. Deer hunting is difficult in bow season due to the large amount of bush and multiple food sources available. Combine that with the relatively low deer density and it makes for a difficult bow hunt. So i prefer to use the rifle during deer season, but plan on using the bow if I have time and can scout properly.

Moose hunting could be done with bow if a person has enough and was good at calling them in... but I don't have either haha.

That's my $0.02
Old 07-19-2004, 09:50 PM

I have been bow hunting for around 31 years. Never tried a rifle. I like to get within the animals scents of awairness. The challenge of getting close.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:59 PM

I prefer the rifle because that is what my entire family does for the most part and I go hunting to spend time with them just as much as to enjoy hunting.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

BOWHUNTING i shot this elk at ten yards as we called him in there is nothing more exciting than a huge bull charging down on you. and a low rumbling bugle from about 200 yards and coming closer just sends a chill up your spine wondering how big of an elk it will be

Old 07-21-2004, 11:40 AM

For me, rifle. Personally, I do not like to see animals run from the point of impact and have to settle for the hope of catching up with them "just into the woods a bit" or "over the hill". The more I can reduce this "flight factor" the happier I am

To a large degree our hunting trips focus on comeraderie (sp?), time in the woods, and last (but definitely not least) the meat/horn harvesting.

We treat the hunting element more like a military operation --- strategy, execution, use of superior firepower (rifles) accomplishes this end very efficiently for us. We strive to get the animals early (first day or two) and then commence the process of using horses and panniers and to pack the meat and antlers (and the spike camp) out followed up by the communal butchering session right there in the main camp.

For those that like bow hunting I am sure the closeness of it is great. To each there own. The main thing is to get out there.

EKM
Old 07-21-2004, 11:55 AM

bow all the way nothing more exciting than getting in close and being one with your game.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gun: Blackpowder.

If I lived there, I would probably bowhunt because of the extended hunting season. Since I don't, blackpowder is a compromise that works for me. Still get to hunt screaming bulls at close range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.