Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Mule deer hunt in Sheridan Wyoming >

Mule deer hunt in Sheridan Wyoming

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Mule deer hunt in Sheridan Wyoming

Old 07-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mule deer hunt in Sheridan Wyoming

Im going to Sheridan Wyoming for a Mule Deer hunt in October (private ranch on the opener), don't know what to expect, has anyone been there before??
Old 07-16-2004, 11:08 PM

Default RE: Mule deer hunt in Sheridan Wyoming

Sheridan is beautiful, I'd live there if i could. Sheridan sits right at the base of the big horn mtns(think Jeramiah Johnson, the real one not the movie, it was filmed in utah but still pretty realistic as to what to expect)Bring your cold weather gear, and your lite stuff to, the weather could be anything -30 - +80F. hope for some heavy snow to push deer down out of the mtns. along the rivers there is good whitetail. You may be taken into the powder river basin area for mulies which is lower, but not much easier. If you know exactly where your hunting i could help you out a little more. East of town, west of town ,farm land, pastures???
Old 07-17-2004, 09:58 PM

My daughterlives in Ranchchester just north of Sheridan. She said it can change from reall warm 80's - 90's one day and 20's the next day. The weather just can't be predicted more than a 1 day in advance and then it is a guess. It was 100 today. Go expecting anything. Sorry I can't be more specific. I know there are some real nice mule deer there. My daughter got a 6x7 189 B&C last year. Got her picture in Eastman's. Good luck, you should have a great time.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:44 PM
Fork Horn

Thats where I'll be, just north of Ranchchester. I'll be staying at the Westerm Motel and hunting a ranch not too far away. I do not know what to expect, my friend is taking care of most the details, I am pretty excited about it though.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted there in 1997 with Lao Dube - owner of the Trophy Connection. It was a great time. I probably saw close to 500 animals in the 5 days I hunted. The first couple of stays was incredibly hot with temps in the 90s. After that it was cool with frost in the mornings. This was the week of October 1st. The terrain was rolling sagebrush hills and canyons. This was a 110,000 acre ranch about 50 miles east of Sheridan, near a town called Leiter.

I took a 160" muledeer on the first day. He had a 25" spread and was a 7x6. I also took a 12" antelope. The deer was shot at 265 yards and the antelope was at 300 yards, both with a .30/06. Practice at these ranges, as these are typical shots.

Good luck and I'm sure you will have a great time . . . Rob