Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elk Calling Tapes/Videos/DVDs for the newbie >

Elk Calling Tapes/Videos/DVDs for the newbie

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Calling Tapes/Videos/DVDs for the newbie

Old 06-26-2004, 01:29 PM

Default Elk Calling Tapes/Videos/DVDs for the newbie

Hello,

I'm looking at going elk hunting the first time this fall and want to learn how to call elk. I've searched the message board, but no serious discussions of available teaching tapes/videos/dvds came up. For the experienced elk hunters on this message board, what tapes/videos/dvds would you recommend as covering the basics - ie. the types of elk sounds, when to use a particular call and other important tips/tricks to remember.

Thanks for your replies,
Old 06-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Calling Tapes/Videos/DVDs for the newbie

Check out elknuts website. I just watched that latest video. He has alot of good information.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just ordered Elknut's Bugling Bulls and Beyond Vol. 1 at http://www.elknut.com/ . I will let you know what I think about it. The most important thing to know for inexperienced elk hunters is that the cow call is your most important tool. Can be use in any season. The bugle is also useful during the rut, but I usually just use it to locate the bulls, move in and then mostly cow call. If not done well, at the right time, you can run a bull out of the country with his cows with a bugle.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

txhunter58----After watching the videos let us know if you think bugling isn't as important as cow calling if not more in many situations. Too, the combination of the two is unbeatable in most situations when you're getting bulls to react a certain way. Yes, cow calling is important and effective on it's own, but much more deadly when the two are used together such as in "The Threat" on Vol-4--Thanks-elknut1

p.s. I sent you an email.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll certainly check out elknut1's website.

I'm still open to more replies on this important topic for elk calling.

Thanks again,
Old 06-28-2004, 11:28 PM
Fork Horn

I was headed for my first elk hunt in '96 and pondered the same issue. I got the Woodwise Hyper Hot Cow Call, and had the experience of a lifetime on day three of the hunt.
The Woodswise call is a simple barrel reed call that is easy to master. The tape is excellent. The main guy in the video, Jerry Peterson, takes you through all the various calls. It also comes with a cassette tape you can play in the truck... Jerry also demos how to use a combo reed and bugle tube.

I was still a bit skeptical of how "aggressively" the bull seemed to react to the call in the video. Well, it was not an exaggeration! My partner and I were working our way down into a basin of heavy dark timber using our cow calls to talk to one another and stay parallel. A five point roared at us from inside a 100 yards. Luckily we had just broken out into some aspen with decent shooting lanes. The rack is on my wall. It happened just like the video depicted. The next year everyone in camp had the Woodswise call and one guy was almost run down by a bull after using it.

There are several varieties that all work. I just happen to have personal experience with the Woodswise call. Their website is www.woodswise.com The gent pictured on the home page is Jerry Peterson, their “callmaster.”
Good Luck!
Old 06-29-2004, 05:58 AM

John, there's alot you didn't tell us about your planned hunt and I would echo what most here have already said. Learn to use a cow call first. Cows talk all year long. You can use it to lure cows in close, call bulls in and generally settle the elk down as your moving. Bulls bugle (mostly) during the rut. After the rut, and even during sometimes, you can push a bull away with his ladies using a bugle. If a herd bull thinks you're bigger than him or he just doesn't want to fight, he'll be in the next county. If you're hunting early season (bow/blk powder), a bugles worth working. Otherwise, stick with the cow call. A good book to read before leaving would be Jim Zumbo's 'Elk Hunters Bible'. Great book, great advice from 'The' elk hunter. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2004, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Many good suggestions given here by all!

But John's doing the right thing in seeking out info on how to be a good all around elk hunter. That means not being one or two dimensional. I see so many hunters try and use the same methods or tactics on every elk encounter just because they had good results once or twice. You must be versatile, and able to adapt to any given elk encounter, vocal or non vocal, in Sept. or Oct. or Nov. The only way to do this is by knowing the animal your hunting in every aspect. Knowing what an elk is saying no matter the sound from a cow or bull is a huge assett. This way you know what he or she is wanting or asking for, therefore you can respond correctly, sometimes the best response is none at all. For instance---How many here know the difference between a grunt and a chuckle? What does each one mean? Can you tell the difference between the two so you don't respond back wrong? If you were walking through the woods chuckling and squealing what would you be saying to other elk within earshot? This is just one small aspect, but I'll bet most can't answer this with total confidence that they're right!!

You can call elk in with any call on the market today, yes some are little better than others but not enough to matter, juster master the one that fits you best and know the elks language to the fullest extent and you won't believe how many close encounters you'll have every season in compared to past seasons. And you'll have fun doing it! -- So John don't get side tracked, you're doing the right thing! elknut1
Old 06-29-2004, 10:22 AM

Thanks, elknut1.

This fall the rifle season is 3 months - from the middle of the rut in mid September to 5 days before Christmas. So given that much time and the pre-hunt scouting trips to get to know the land and feeding/bedding areas where the herds are and learn elk calling, I think my chances are fairly decent that I'll get a nice bull for the freezer and a rack to spin stories about.