Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Black bear defense??

Old 07-01-2004, 01:07 PM

Default RE: Black bear defense??

Because what was said is "If a grizzly bear attacks play dead"
That is not true, I have just shown you that.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:35 AM
crc

HOOPY YOURE 100% WRONG! GRIZZES DONT EAT PEOPLE FOR FOOD! YOUDE HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF GETTIN KILLED BY A HOG THAN A GRIZZ HUNTING FOR FOOD SO ID PLAY DEAD! AND A COUGAR CAN KILL A GRIZZ NO SWEAT! I KNOW IVE WATCHED A HEAD ON BATTLE AND THE COUGAR SLICED AN ADULT BOAR GRIZZLY STRAIGHT OPEN!COUGARS ARE THE FIERCEST ANIMAL IN AMERICA! GRIZZLIES ARE SCARED OF EM! A COUGAR CAN HOLD OFF A WOLF PACK OF UP TO 16 WOLVES AND KILL EVERY ONE OF UM!PLAY DEAD IF YOURE CHARGED BY ANY KIND OF BEAR CAUSE IF YOU RUN YOURE BUTTS GONNA BE SLICED AND DICED BUT NOT EATEN.LORD RUNNING FROM A GRIZZLIE IS THE STUPIDIST THING IVE EVER HEARD!IF YOURE NEAR A BIG TREE CLIMB IT![:@]
Old 07-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a thing on your keyboard called the Caps Lock button. Please make sure it's off before you post for the love of Pete.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes I use a bull whip in chasing blackies out of the yard here, as they can be a nusaince. I live in the heart of griz/black bear country here in the Rocky mountain trench and a bear is like encountering a dog, sometimes its a good dog and some other times that dog is going to eat your arse. There are no two encounters the same in dealing with bears as no two game kills are the same. Each is diff. If going into black bear country bear spray would be best, NOT mace, there is a diff but I would feel more confident if I had a side arm on me also and I am not talking about a 22, minimum would be a 357. Those black bears don't want a confrontation unless you surprise them, I would just stay out of the way of any sows that has any cubs. Last week I encountered 4 different black bears and one was a sow with two cubs that had plenty time to get out of the way. I have never had a problem with the boars but I do have the ut most amount of respesct for any sow.
Griz bear is totally diff, its like encountering a great white in the ocean, the griz has a personal space of 100-150 yrds, meaning that this is his personal zone, its kinda like when a person talks 6 inches from your face, same way with this griz, the griz is NOT looking at you as a food souce but as a threat, and will elliminate the threat, best thing to do is play dead and roll into a ball as there is no way in hell your going to out run a dang bear, or even climb a tree.
I do a lot of fishing and hunting in Ten Lakes along Glacier and Waterton national park here along the canadian border and you gotta be bear aware and respect them. We loose people up here every year to the bears, but hell, they gotta eat too. Good Day Bobby
Old 07-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pretty much don't like intimidation,by person,animal or agency.So this post started out for personal protection for the camper,hike or general outdoors man/woman.
I feel that I'am the bigger predetor,as all great predetor be aware of your surroundings,know whats going on.I to have hunted/fished in bear country and cat country,you must respect the animals.I have been in 2 close encounters with gizz and one sow black bear with cubs.I have seen cats but never been confronted.I have been chased by cow moose through beaver dams and timber.Each time I have had those encounters I have been damn glad I had my .44 mag.(Only fired one shot,to scare the moose away)
I have respect for the pepole that carry bear spray and I hope it works when they need it,cause if not they are just carrying around a big can of spice.
I will take my chances with,cold steel and hot lead,as they say"they can pry my gun from my cold dead hands"if that is all thats left.
BBJ
Old 07-06-2004, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is great in living here BJ and I got broken in 3 year ago when I got between a cow moose and the calf, I didn't see the calf at the time. Have you ever seen a freight train coming head on at 20 yrds? [] Not too good. Right now its birthing season and I pack the bear spray and the 357 and I hope I don't ever have to make the discision on which one but I am sure I'll meet one of the nasty ones one of these days and then react to the situation. Good luck on your draws this year, Bobby
Old 07-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is that Bobby,you live in one of the most pristine spots here in Montana and one of my favorites.Well I like the Yak country a little more.
As for the moose,yeah I do know what it is like.I was fishing North East of Linchon MT,when I came a cross a cow and the calf,the calf come out of some willows and got scared and started to run,bawling.Let me tell you that cow came unhinged.I took my chances and jumped in to the beaver dam,1/2 swimming,running.We come out the other side I'm about 10 feet a head of and started doging in and out of the trees,I figutred if I kept my turns sharp she could not run me down,she got close.I swear I feel snot on the back of my neck.That is when I said the heck with this,I pulled my gun fired into the air,turned and was ready to let her have it.She had stopped and was giving me that look,ears back and stomping.She finaly left and I went on my way fishing.It was a good fishing trip anyways.BBJ
Old 07-08-2004, 02:25 PM

bareback i agree with that.

i no longer live in MT but go back each year to hunt and visit family. flying out of BWI airport got to talking with a guy who was also headed out west to bow hunt, he said his guide recommended that he carry some bear spray and wanted to know which brand i thought was the best ....i could only think of one response, Colt 45.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

BJ, thats got to get the blood flowing and reading an animal like its ears laid back will tell you the intend of the animal, not too many people pick up on little details as that, but I guess being in the bush as we are you look for the certain little signals. All animals are diff as every encounter is and you just got to deal with it as the situation presents itselfs, on an individual basis. I like it better when snows on the ground as oppose to now as every critter out there is birthing and their protecting there young. Have a great seaon and stay in touch, Bobby