Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Feral Hog Hunting

Old 06-08-2004, 12:17 PM

Default Feral Hog Hunting

I heard it is best to hunt feral hogs by putting a green light on your feeder because they cannot see. I'm hunting in South Texas. I've seen patches of grass that are by a watering hole torn up. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:43 PM

Default RE: Feral Hog Hunting

hey, where do you hunt in southern texas? i hunt in Carrizo Springs, its in Dimmit county. i havnt heard of using a green light but i would go for it, i mean whats the worst thing that can happen??? i am also hunting feral hogs, i just recently built a nice hog trap. 4' tall 4' wide 7' long. do you have n e traps built? if not i would suggest that you purchase one or build one.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

I use red lights to spotlight for hogs. When you shine a normal white light at them like a q-beam they run, but when you use a red lense over the q-beam that stay put. When we do our population counts for deer we use the redlight and get much closer because the deer do not run either.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:08 PM

Unforutunately we can't hunt hogs after dark here in Mississippi. We mostly still hunt them here, but I sure do love to hear those dogs baying one up when we can get a chase up!
Old 06-10-2004, 07:04 PM

MadCrazyHunter:

What ranch do you hunt on in Dimmit county? I hunted on the brisoce ranch several years back, and have friends that own ranchs out in that area. Have you got any big bucks off of the ranch? This year should be another awesome year for antler growth. Hopefully come deer season we will get a freeze that will help kill all that lush grass that is in the pastures right now. Good hunting all, and be safe.