Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Need feral hog HELP!!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default Need feral hog HELP!!

First, let me invite all of you guys to northwest Alabama to the Bankhead National Forest and Black Warrior Management Area. The number of feral hogs here has exploded the last 5-6 years. They are completley destroying the deer and turkey habitat and I fear that we will soon see a large decrease in our bird numbers.

Due to this being a NF and WMA, we are somewhat limited as to how we can hunt these pigs. You can only use weapons that are in season for the WMA. Still, that allows you to use a 22, 22Mag, or .17 from Oct. 1 to the end of Feb. Just this year they are having a hog season from March 1-15, any caliber.

Problem I am having is getting on these pigs. This is the largest WMA in Alabama, and is mostly timber. It is very hilly and is full of small creeks and springs. Finding were they have been is not a problem. Finding where they are is. Any suggestions? Has anyone ever tried using a grunt call? If so, how effective are they? I have a great hunting opportunity here, but am quite unsure how to best take advantage of it.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Spike

Default RE: Need feral hog HELP!!

First, let me say that I won't be able to make the hunt. We have more hogs than we want/need already.

Now, as to how to find them......If baiting is legal, I'd find a good spot WAY AWAY from where I liked to hunt and bait the heck out of them and hunt them hard. I sure wouldn't want to bait them where I liked to hunt so I didn't bring in ones thatnormally wouldn't be coming there.