Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

poll question on GPS

Old 02-20-2002, 08:42 PM

Default poll question on GPS

How many guys use them? Are they helpful and useful, or just something more to lug around the woods. I saw a sale on the the Garmin etrex for $107.00 the other day. Is this model compatible with the downloadable topo maps?
Old 02-20-2002, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: poll question on GPS

I have a magellin, stay away from it, the garmins are MUCH better. Dunno what one I would get if I had to do it over as mine usually sits in the house...ya cant beat a good compass and map!!!
Old 02-20-2002, 10:29 PM

I have a garmin GPS12. It's a great little unit and makes navigating MUCH easier. It's not a substitute for a compass and map, but combined with them it will make your life much easier while trying to navigate the unknown. It's very much worth the small amount of extra weight.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:22 PM

Garmin GPS12. Great unit with lots of features, probably more than I need. The eTrex is a great basic unit; my friend has one and it is really easy to use.

GPS is NOT a substitute for a map and compass. When I first got my GPS I used it a lot and now I only occasionally use it to verify my compass/map directions when I am looking for the shortest route back to camp or to a certain marked waypoint. It has saved a lot of walking.

The Mouse

Edited by - The Mouse on 02/21/2002 00:22:37
Old 02-21-2002, 05:58 AM
RNZ

I have a magellan 310. I makes navigation a whole lot easier, especially in heavily wooded areas where there are very few landmarks to use. Once you have located a spot that you want to get to, it can take you right back to that exact spot everytime. For me the compass is just a backup now. Yes, this model can be hooked into a computer.
Old 02-21-2002, 03:17 PM

I just purchased the Etrex camo, seems like it will be very handy in dense cover.
I didnt get any of the software for it yet.
Is the software make it any better?

Mike
Old 02-21-2002, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

CH- I've had my Etrax about 6 months, I think I paid $115 for it. I've used it on trips to California and Arizona, and I've used it this winter while scouting...has come in very handy although I always have my compass w/me also. Although I have not downloaded any info or used the software(you must purchase separately), it is very simple to use and tracks/finds satellites quickly.

TB
Old 02-21-2002, 07:43 PM

I have a etrax also & like it so far, had no problems & it works for what I need it for.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:59 PM
XTP

Honestly,they are great accessories to have,but I find myself leaving it behind in the truck more than carrying it.It has however come in handy once when I got turned around in a cedar swamp and then second guessed my compass 'cause I thought for sure I was heading the right way.The GPS confirmed the direction back so I guess it may have payed for itself already!Never rely on a GPS alone,aways carry a compass.
Old 02-22-2002, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Garmin GPS12. It is a great tool, especially when hunting unfamiliar or extremely large country. Do yourself a favor and purchase a unit that is capable of displaying UTM Coordinates, and learn to use them. Once you learn how to use UTM and a protractor in conjunction with a topo map you can scout an area you have never set foot on, determine potential hotspots, enter their coordinates into your GPS and once you are on the ground navigate directly to them. If you put some time in with Terraserver you can even know what the vegetation and other key features look like. Using this system I have been able to "scout" areas thousands of miles from my home, and be productive from the time my feet hit the ground.

Edited by - RuRu12 on 02/22/2002 08:45:37

Quick Reply: poll question on GPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.