Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Tag prices, Draws, and hunt costs. >

Tag prices, Draws, and hunt costs.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Tag prices, Draws, and hunt costs.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:56 PM

Default RE: Tag prices, Draws, and hunt costs.

That is a tough one.

COST: I've hunted both resident and non-resident big game and always felt the tag cost was a small part of the overall total cost. By the time you figure in lost wages, travel, provisions, processing, etc. the tags are the least of it. My Michigan mentors figured their 14 day do-it-yourself Colorado Elk Hunt cost them each $2500 all things considered. That is $6.85 per day all year long.

ONE DIFFICULT BARRIER: For most Joe's the real problem is "two weeks". That is all the time most folks get off for vacation per year. In those two weeks most family men have to satisfy the wife and the kids as well as himself, so Disneyland and the cruise or a trip someplace warm instead of someplace cold enters the picture. By the time that is all factored in most folks may as well skip elk hunting altogether. If you are not an entrepreneur or very senior either in age or corporate rank, then doing a bonafide, out of state, two week, remote big game hunt may be pretty much out of reach. [>:][>:]

SHOESTRING: One can always try for a minimalist, arrive late, no scouting, hope the weather holds, run around in the woods, leave early, learn a lot (the hard way), hit and run "elk trip", but I would think the batting average is probably quite low. Time is money. Money is time. Elk require one or the other -- it is hard to cut corners with reliable results. [:-]

PAST-PRESENT: I'm not sure out of state, remote, big game hunting was ever really "cheap", unless you have or had an "in" with someone. [][:@]

HUNTING SWAPS: I for one am appalled at how poor the "hunt swap" section of this site is: most of them are willing to trade hunting for $$$$ or will trade for non-equivalent hunts. I would think there should be ample opportunity for trade within the elk, bear, moose, caribou circles with experienced successful do-it-yourselfers winning on both ends.

That is a tough one,
EKM
Old 04-29-2004, 12:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tag prices, Draws, and hunt costs.

As somone above said. I do think all tag prices on Federal land should be the same for everyone. We all pay for the cost of the feds owning that land. I am glad that I did a lot of hunting back when the cost was low and game populations were high. I was always lucky to have friends and relatives in Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Sask. Alberta and out west of Denver.