Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 The one item you would not go without... >

The one item you would not go without...

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The one item you would not go without...

Old 05-08-2004, 07:44 PM
PLB

Default RE: The one item you would not go without...

Other than my hunting license, baby wipes. After several days in the field, they sure help to freshen up.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:11 PM

Good topic,

I myself will be going to Montana for elk this Sept and would like to know what power and kind of Binoculars everyone uses to glass for elk?

Searched the forums but didn't find too much....

Thanks
Old 05-14-2004, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. toilet paper (ruined too many good shirts)
2. SmartWool socks
3. snoose
4. my gun
5. knife
Old 05-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Kraton, You would probably get a whole lot more responses if you started a new thread about binocs.

But I use nothing over 8 power. Anything bigger than that (10X +) is either too heavy and bulky or if in a compact model is very light restrictive. The 10X and larger are also best used on a tripod to get a steady picture.

When you look for binoculars divide the objective (large end) size by the power and you will get the exit pupil size. For good light transmission you will wnat to have an exit pupil size of at least 4mm up to about 8mm. The bigger the magnification you have or want the larger the objective lense you will need to get good light transmission. You can see how a 10X25 will only give you an exit pupil of 2.5mm thus not letting your eye absorbe the maximum ammount of light but an 8X32 will give you 4mm exit pupil size which is about the size of your pupil during daylight. To get the same ammount of light to your eye in a 10 power binoc you will need a 40mm ebjective lense and for a 12 power binoc you will need a 48mm objective lense.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

A good strong hunting partner to pack out my elk. lol lol. On a serious note I would write a checklist and double check it before I left. I was talking to a sporting goods shop owner in Salmon Idaho (central Idaho) and he told me every year he sells 4-5 guns and/or bows to out of staters who fly in to Idaho. And then drive 3 hours to Salmon. And meet their outfitter only to remember (when their outfitter asks what their shooting) that they left their gun or bow at home. He of course sells a lot more of the personal items that people often foget.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Poluke

Toilet paper!

Good Luck hunting!!
What I have found that is even better is bring a stack of baby wipes. You will need them when you are gutting an animal. Plus they feel refreshing on your bum . Especially if the wind is blowing...
Old 05-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

They are pretty good for keeping the rest of your body as well as your hair somewhat clean too.

Don't use the same one though.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

The one thing I wouldn't go without are two way radios. Hunting in the rockies is a completley different and can be a scary experiance.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Call me nuts, call me real old school....I agree with most of what has been said. Although I do not own a GPS, I do carry a compass in my purse. LOL and have topos of all areas I hunt and know how to use them. My late father was retired military and taught me survival skills when I was young.....you guys will laugh and say I'm an idiot however, although I take lighters with me. Only 2....I always take some flint and iron pyrite to make a spark....when lighters get wet they do not work. Flint and pyrite always do. Just a thought as it could save you from hypothermia...one of the biggest killers when your out and unprepared.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: stuckinthereeds

The one thing I wouldn't go without are two way radios. Hunting in the rockies is a completley different and can be a scary experiance.
Do the regs allow for the use of two way radios while hunting?

Quick Reply: The one item you would not go without...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.