Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Hunting elk in all states. >

Hunting elk in all states.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting elk in all states.

Old 04-07-2004, 02:47 AM

Default Hunting elk in all states.

Myself and some hunting buddies are going to start putting in for tags in most western elk states and i am needing help on what area in the states are good elk hunting, bulls. Love the back counrty the best. I am from Montana and will help anyone out with info they might need for my state. If you could please do the same it would be wonderful. Thanks for the help in advance. Area 380 in montana is the best.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:39 AM

Default RE: Hunting elk in all states.

MTE,

I'm a meat hunter myself, but we have one gentleman who may be joining us this fall as his second choice if he doesn't "draw" for his target area. He does like you are thinking of doing and files for preference points across many states. He has been focusing on Area 10 here in Colorado, at least that is what he said. I don't know if it is any good or not but you might check out the stats.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 04-07-2004, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mtelksniper, I am looking hard at the 417 and 410 hunting units with the unlimited elk and deer tags availiable, also the 900 antelope tag, I'm ready to be slinging some arrows. I have never been over there but lots of state and forestry along the missiour river. I think a scouting trip is in order real soon. Good luck, Bobby
Old 04-07-2004, 01:20 PM

Bobby,
I have hunted 410 quite a bit, although i haven't in the last 5 years or so, i talked to a bowhunter who shot a nice bull last year, he said the elk have been sticking pretty close to the missouri for as dry as it's been, he shot his out on a dry island, the old river channel on one side had dried up. I allways bumped into elk around chain buttes, and the area around drag creek reservoir.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

I like area 's 34 and 36 here in New Mexico.
Big bodies and bigger racks.

Leroy
Old 04-08-2004, 08:06 PM
cj5

used to live in arizona, live back home in missouri now. good units in az are 7,8,9, 10 and the 6s. you have to put in for a drawing though, but i hear they are required to give out 50% of the tags to nonresidents now. price im not sure of, maybe around $500 for license and tag.you can apply online through the az game and fish webiste, deadline is in june i believe.... good luck!
Old 04-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Appreciate the tip Goat, looks like great country according to the topos. I did notice some good flat prarie land for me to fill my 900 tag, do you know where some may be lurking? That Missiour looks good as I can bring my fishin pole and catch some rainbows and sleep along the banks without an ole Griz to worry about. I enjoy taking 2-3 weeks hunting solo in different H.U.'s and exploring new terrain within the state. Much appreciated, Bobby
Old 04-08-2004, 10:56 PM

there is good goat country just north of winnett, it's area 481 for antelope, same as 410 for elk, bounded by the musselshell to the east, highway 191 to the west, missouri to the north, and highway 200 to the south, you need a current blm map to pick out the public land closer to 200, but there is good goat hunting, they were down just a few years ago, but on the comback again. find valentine road on the map where it intersects with highway 191 at bohemian corners, and work east from there, you won't have any trouble finding some, and some private landowners allow hunting. Good luck
Old 04-09-2004, 12:58 AM
usa
Fork Horn

Will, where are you,usa or Iraq ?, Bill
Old 04-09-2004, 07:31 AM

I am in Iraq. What a crappy place. But i will return to elk hunt in 2006 and am needing to start putting in for every western state for big-game. Thanks for the info and anymore would be great.