Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

where to look for hogs

Old 04-06-2004, 10:38 PM

Default where to look for hogs

hey guys i was woundering if anyone can help me out. i found some hogs last here will i was bow hunting and, i was just wounding where i might start to look for them? i live up saskatchewan in the parkland area. i've look in the same area that i found them ,but i've seen no signs of them.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:41 AM

Default RE: where to look for hogs

Canadian,

Sorry about this, but would you consider reading your post literally "out loud" and then edit it so folks here REALLY know what you are asking for. It makes no sense as written.

EKM
Old 04-08-2004, 05:50 PM

thanks elkampMaster i was do it very early in the morning

candian_extreme
Old 04-08-2004, 11:46 PM

Hogs can be really hard to pattern if you don't have feeders. Their main weaknesses are water and cover. Here in the southern U.S. they are found in the thickest cover available and usually near water. The nastiest swamps you can find usually hold the most hogs. Hogs can be found almost anywhere but if you concentrate on water sources/swampy areas with the heaviest cover you can find you should find hogs. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:09 AM

thanks bloodnativ

you given a good idea where to start hunting for them. so i would start looking for them in and sloughs and bullrushs.

your canadian_extreme
Old 04-09-2004, 06:22 PM

You want to look for heavily used travel routes, fresh feeding areas where they are really tearing up the ground, and wallows. Hogs don't really use regular travel routes like deer and other animals. They can really wander anywhere but will sometimes use a particular "travel area" with many routes through it.

You want to look for fresh feeding areas. Hogs probably won't return to old feeding areas for a long time so don't waste your time. If it looks like they haven't been there for a few days then look elsewhere.

Wallows are good places because hogs will visit these repeatedly, especilly when it gets hot. These are great places for an ambush.

If you've got a lot of open areas you can glass early in the morning and late afternoon. Spot and stalk can be very challenging with hogs. They can't see worth a hoot but can smell better than deer and can hear a fly fart a mile away. On top of this they (in my experience) are very skittish. Something doesn't seem right to them and they are gone and will run a LONG way.

If it's legal, put out some corn feeders. There are some great ideas for inexpensive feeders at www.texasboars.com. It won't take long for the word to get out amng the hogs that ther is a free meal in town. I've seen feeders act like dinner bells for them. I've almost been run over by hogs coming in to a feeder that has just gone off.

Hogs can be addictive. I probably enjoy hunting hogs more than deer. It's just a lot more exciting IMO, especially behind some good dogs.