Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Another year I didn't draw a tag. >

Another year I didn't draw a tag.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Another year I didn't draw a tag.

Old 02-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default Another year I didn't draw a tag.

I've been putting in for an Elk permit (non-resident) in Wyoming for four years. I thought maybe this year I'd draw one. Results are available on the web as of yesterday and I was "not successful" again. Anybody know how many years it takes to draw one? I'm trying to draw a trophy tag in one of three areas around Rock Springs. Got a friend that lives there and has for 20 years. If I ever get a license I will stay at his house.

Maybe next year, or the year after, or the year after, or the year after...

Just sent my Antelope app. in. Been denied that license too for the last three years.[] Thanks for letting me vent a little and if any of you have any suggestions let me know.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:45 PM

Default RE: Another year I didn't draw a tag.

Some people seem to have the worst luck in tag draws. My one uncle once applied and was denied 9 years in a row for an elk tag here in Manitoba. In the same 9 year period, my other uncle drew at least 3 tags. Not sure how the system works, but it sure seemed strange to us.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

I feel your pain! I was also unsuccessful with the Wyoming elk draw. Keep trying, when you do finaly draw that tag it will be worth the wait!
Old 03-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Just keep on trying but don't limit your opportunities to just one or two areas, take a look around the world and see what else is on offer. There's lots of places where there's primo Elk hunting to be had. e.g. Mongolia or New Zealand. And hey it's a big adventure getting there. Cost wise probably doesn't cost a lot more than what you end up paying all up hunting at home. Think about it.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:12 PM

I am on my third year of not drawing a bull tag in Wyoming. Wyoming does not have a preference point system for elk so your odds do not get any better in the future. It is all luck.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:14 PM
jjt

as non residents you need to petition the state of wyoming game and fish dept to install a preference point system for non res elk deer and speed goats

i can promise you that is the only way it will get done and the only way in wich your odds are going to increase year by year. as there ar more and more nonres apps every year(in actuallity decreaseing your odds every year)
Old 03-01-2004, 11:03 PM

Hang in there rcd567, your odds gotta be improving from year to year, just don't give up and keep reapplying...
Old 03-02-2004, 07:58 AM

no ROBINHOOD his odds are not improving every year that is the point. there is no preference point system so his odds are the same or worse every year. Not to mention Wyoming sets aside 40% of its non resident licenses for a "special drawing" that costs $900 to get into. so with more and more people applying every year for less licenses your odds are definitely not getting any better.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:01 PM
car
Typical Buck

no elk tag for me. I sent in for reg deer and special antelope. I didn't like paying the extra $$ but last year the area that I hunt was 43% odds and now with 10% less for the reg draw the odds are not very good. It's a long drive from Oh to hunt only mule deer! car
Old 03-02-2004, 09:31 PM
jjt

It's a long drive from Oh to hunt only mule deer!
it is a trip i would and have made lol

i went all the way to newbrunswick to hunt black bear (well worth the trip)

one of these days i hope to make it to your neck of the woods to hunt the infamous OH whitetail

Quick Reply: Another year I didn't draw a tag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.