Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Another year I didn't draw a tag. >

Another year I didn't draw a tag.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Another year I didn't draw a tag.

Old 03-03-2004, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Another year I didn't draw a tag.

Yeah, I realize that I could put in for the $900 dollar tag to better my chances, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on just a tag. Hell, I can get a guided hunt in some other states for a thousand. If I don't draw my antelope tag this year, maybe next year I'll try a differant state.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Spike

i good place to hunt is idaho area 75 or 76 76 is draw huge bulls two 400 class bulls in ten years also one 430 class animal.ranchers only charge 1,000 per hunt and if you dont draw landowner tags available.25 landowner tags for 28 landowner all the way up into september.the draw rate is 30 percent.in wyoming you would have better chance in area 48 approximately 40 bulls to 100 cows two elk area.the mule deer run wide but 150 would be considered big .
Old 03-05-2004, 08:56 AM

The areas around Rock Springs are known to be good, but if I remember right 100, 124, 30, 31, 32, are all under a 3-5% chance to draw for the low price (and 100 is closer to 1%). Since Wyoming doesn't do preference points for elk theoretically someone could draw for one of those areas 3 years in a row where someone that has been applying for 10 years still hasn't gone. It's just the way it is right now. Even the General low price tag I bet was around 20-25% to draw this year. Wyoming definately needs to implement some type of Points system.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:56 AM

Keep trying and you will get one eventually
Old 03-06-2004, 02:45 AM

Don't feel too bad. This will be my 11th season applying for the Alaska coveted drawing tags, and guess what? I HAVE YET TO DRAW A PERMIT IN THE PAST TEN YEARS! Whether it be a bison tag, dall sheep tag, or a simple cow moose tag for around the area that I live in, I have had ZERO success, all the while others that I know have drawn from 1 tag to up 10 tags in that time frame. If it wasn't for over-the-counter tags, I'd be literally screwed and would never be allowed to hunt if all hunts up here required that I would have to be successful in drawing a permit! [:@]
Old 03-06-2004, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

It's only going to get worse fellows. Arizona elk permits taking 12 to 18 years depending on the unit. Nevada another hard to draw tag. Colorado trophy units pushing the ten year mark. Holy cow that means for some its a once in a lifetime draw. Four or five years in wyoming doesn't seem so bad in today's draw system.

I'm on my sixth year applying for rifle antelope in colorado and I live here. I used to hunt archery over the counter every year but not no more its all draw. To hunt mule deer now as a resident for muzzleloader I get to hunt every two to three years. I'll get my limited bear tag this year so that makes three years of applying. The only thing I can buy over the counter is a elk tag and a bear tag in the same season. The population of people is growing to fast and hunting is becoming a rich mans sport. The people that have land they can hunt back east are someday going to be rich in opportunity. Out west unless you own a big ranch where you can get land owner tags you will be limited to the draw. And when elk goes totally draw and I can no longer have the opportunity to hunt for bulls everyyear my world becomes a sad place. Don't get me wrong I don't have to kill a bull everyyear I just want the opportunity to go hunting. I'll will become like some and have to pay a landowner their fee just to be able to hunt everyyear.

I say if you got a place to hunt or a landowner that lets you hunt I'd make it worth their while so I could keep that tied up for future years and your kids.