Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

A great read on the 30-30

Old 02-24-2004, 04:01 PM

Default A great read on the 30-30

This is the best article on the 30-30 I have ever read.
Click on "30-30 One hundred years and still going strong."

http://www.levergun.com/main_index.htm

Hornet Man
Old 02-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A great read on the 30-30

Good artical. There is no doubt that the winchester lever gun and the 30-30 was a package that caught on and is still as popular as ever. When it comes to packing a rifle through the woods or up and down steep grades, the old 30-30 is still a joy to carry. I agree 100 percent with his statement about people who can't kill thier game with a 30-30. They don't know its limits or can't respect them. Or they are just not competent. As a short range rifle thats easy to carry and easy to shoot, Its still amoung the best.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:54 PM

Hornet Man,

Boy that was a long one..... The guy obviously likes his 30-30's. I was glad to see he said they were good for "hunting smaller species of big game where conditions limit shooting range" at least he is keeping it within the realm of credibility.

A Win M94 30-30 provided me with my first shot (with close adult supervision) with a so-called "high power" rifle at 8 years of age. It was more of a handful than my 22LR or my .410 which made it exciting at the time. It certainly provided some entertainment for me as a youngster over the next few years, but that's really about all I can say for it. Where I live, 60 to 100 mile visibilities and 300 yard shooting is not all that uncommon and....

It is now a "family heirloom" of sorts and will continue to languish unused (since 1969) in the back of my gun safe while rifles chambered for much more capable cartridges continue to dominate the rack slots near the safe door, make the trips, and take the game in a fashion the 30-30 could never match.

Good read though --- especially if you are into them.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 02-24-2004, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

So you do own one. Interesting!!!!!!!
elknut1
Old 02-24-2004, 09:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

While not the ideal weapon, I doubt that there is any North American Big game animal that has not been taken many times with the 30-30. Its been carried to the far corners of this continent for almost a 100 years. Before that the old 44-40 did the same thing. I wouldn't use the 30-30 for Polar or grizzly bears but its been done many times. I have an NEF 30-30 with a 22 inch barrel that shoots the 130 and 140 grain Xfb's at 2620 and 2500 fps and makes a good low recoil deer rifle to 200 yards. However to carry I prefer the model 94. If I could only have one though the 336 would be it.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:13 AM

After the ever-present introductory excuses for the 30-30 such as “While not the ideal weapon….” then comes the praise –-- kind of an endorsement of mediocrity. That’s okay I guess.

But, then (per the article) comes the amazingly righteous scoldings of non-30/30 users,
“Those who cannot cleanly dispatch their game using a 30-30 are either shooting too far, hunting inappropriate (too large) game, or are simply incompetent.”

LOL (Laughing Out Loud) and ROGLMGO (Rolling On Ground Laughing My Guts Out)

More accurate would be “Those who shun the use a 30-30 are either choosing to cleanly dispatch their game at a variety of ranges, wanting to hunt game that is ‘too large’, or may simply desire more capable and competent cartridges.”

I guess it all depends on what you are “into”. Once upon a time, it was a "cutting edge" North American round for its day (1895 to say post WW1). That was then. This is now. Interestingly enough for an amazing number of 30-30 fans who sing its praises, they NOW hunt with something else as their "first" choice -- a bad sign. Actions speak louder than words. Personally, I’ll pass on the mediocre stuff.

If you are a 30-30 owner (I have one) and fan, it is a good read --- take a look.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 02-25-2004, 12:10 PM

Glad you all liked it. Did you happen to read some of his other writings while on his site? I like the " Why do some Cartridges Succeed." To find out more on him, click on the link Meet Mic Mcpherson. I like his style of writing. I am going to order his books as well.

Keep your powder dry.

Hornet Man
Old 02-25-2004, 01:24 PM

Hey EKM,

For a good read on a really powerful cartridge.....try this one:

http://www.levergun.com/articles/special.htm

That cartridge by the way.....is what I took my first deer with! So quit picking on these cartridges. [:@] (Meant in jest! Lest we start taking ourselves too seriously!)

Actually what you say is true enough.....but for those willing to respect the limitations.....as a handgunner, archer, or muzzleloader....they still provide a fine hunting experience!

Dave