Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Two calibers ... two elk.

Old 01-31-2004, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Two calibers ... two elk.

I think your right. Theres sure nothing wrong with the 338 and 300 Mag for Elk. I know quite a few guys who use them. However I know a lot more people who use rifles from 25-06-30-06 including the 308 280 and 270 even the old 757 and 7mm-08 for Elk and all their other big game hunting. No matter what you use as has been said here already and very well at that, Shot placement is everything and there is no substitute. A well placed good bullet from any of the above rifles is good Elk medicine. I choose the smaller calibers for the exact reason you mentioned above. While I have no trouble shooting a shot or two at an Elk, bear or deer with a hard recoiling rifle, I quarentee that I will not do much practice shooting with them. My shooting shoulder is shot and though Magnum used to be my middle name and I caught a lot of ribbing from some of my older hunting buddies, those days are over for me barring a mirical operation to fix the shoulder. I will continue to hunt with the 257 Roberts, 260 Rem, 7mm-08 and 308. With these I can work up loads and do lots of target practice. The 30-06 is right at the top of what I can shoot 20 or so rounds through in a day without paying for it with pain for a week. About two or three heavy 45-70 loads are my limit for the day.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Two calibers ... two elk.

My father has taken 25 bulls with a 270 win and not one wounded animal, its all shot placement. I've taken 7 bulls with the 270 and 8 with the 300 win mag. Shot placement again. It don't matter size of the caliber but who's doing the shooting. I prefer guys to bring what they shoot all the time hunting not a new rifle they have little experience using.

In a past bulge magazine article this writer claimed he used a big bore magnum because unlike residents of the state, he didn't have the luxury of time for waiting for the perfect shot. So if a ass shot is all he got he felt better having his big gun. Nothing wrong with using a big caliber, but if this guy thinks by writing articles like that will get him into the sportsman of the year award, he's sadly mistakin.

Big or not you have to make that first shot count.