Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

lookin for cougar hunt

Old 01-23-2004, 10:20 AM
ARO

Default lookin for cougar hunt

i am lookin to go on a cougar hunt in 2005, can anyone point me in the right direction, as far as what state is best, or a good guide to go with. or any outfit i should stay away from for that manner. any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:15 PM

Default RE: lookin for cougar hunt

At this point in time, just about any of the western states are great, montana,idaho, wyoming, utah, colorado, new mexico, ect.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:58 PM

I did a hunt 2 weeks ago with :

TESTOLIN GUIDE SERVICE
Address: HC 30 Box 352-2
Spring Creek, NV 89815
Phone: 775-744-4254

I got a 110 lb. female .

from what I understand , Nevada's season is year round, with certain areas being closed when certain limits are reached.
Wayne has 4 hound dogs; Willie, Spike, Jake and Lucy. Lucy took a paw to the face on our hunt but sucked it up and stayed in the cats face.
I only had 4 days to hunt , got in 1:30 am and was out hunting at about 5. Tired ? yes but with a guide as enthusiatic as Wayne i was soon pumped to go .
the Truck was loaded and we were off after a Cat.
we off loaded 2 snowmobiles and, while Wayne kept his eyes out for Tracks , i got to see some very scenic country . 20 minutes into the hunt we crossed my cats tracks , circled the area to make sure it hadn't left , then went back for the dogs . Some areas don't have a lot of trees and when the Dogs caught up to the Mt. Lion it had holed up in some Bushes . Got the adrenaline pumping really good when I crept closer to get a shot . Had to get pretty close as he wanted to grab the dogs and pull them back alittle so the Cat would not kill 1 after the shot . Shot it with a gun borrowed from the guide as I thought it easier to borrow his than to try and get mine thru a Code orange alert at the airport.
after collecting mine , we went out and shot a Coyote and some Chukkar .
The whole time i was there i was hunting something . if you go see what else is open . Rode his snowmobile thru some very pretty country ,saw lots of deer and about 20 anteplope, saw more Cat tracks , but as i said, i had mine already.
I stayed at Waynes house , very nice , awesome Great room with numerous mounts , Most of them being Sheep(about 15) , but just about 1 of everything else.
Seems his 2 favorite pastimes are Cats and sheep .

He does not have a website but if you search his name you will find it on a few Web sites, one of which is for when he was a Water commisioner for Nevada . He seems to have met and/or had dealings with most,if not all people with a need for Water in northern Nevada. I'm not making it up , you'll see if you go.

he has another Business making signs, called .... Signs by Wayne , you might see him at some shows

I HAD A GREAT TIME WITH THAT GUY !
Old 01-25-2004, 09:42 AM
Spike

Aro, i hunted with a outfitter in Utah about three years ago. His name is Wade Lemon, and as far as i know he is still running 100 % sucess on his cat hunts.This was the first time i hunted with dogs, what a thrill it was. I shot a 120lb female with a pistol. When the dogs get on a hot scent then the fun begins, do not dress to warm. If you would like more information or any other questions e-mail me.

Old 01-30-2004, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want a big cat all I can say is Idaho Idaho Idaho. We have some tremendous cat hunting. I run them with friends of mine. However it is not a guide service. He took a book tom at 8 1/2 feet unskinned and unstretched. Running cats is a hoot. And the populations are high. We have spotted several running around the city this winter.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:58 AM

fyi
There are several units in Idaho which now offer a 2 cougar limit, as well as a 2 bear limit.
They are trying to kill off the cougars and bears so there will be enough elk for the wolves to eat. All of these units are N of the Salmon river in prime big cat areas.
Contact the IOGA, Idaho Outfitters and Guides for more info.
They have a website and ofter there are specials listed for cat hunts this time of year.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:07 AM

I know a guy that shot his 50th cougar in the 03 season, he's been a huntin for a while I would say, tagged them all in Idaho I believe!
Old 01-31-2004, 01:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, thats alot of cats.