Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Browning BAR newbie

Old 12-27-2003, 08:15 AM

Default Browning BAR newbie

I'm of 53 years and had the opportuity to deer hunt for the first time with a borrowed 30 06 BAR w/ Simmons Atec scope. Rifle was presighted by my friend. 1st shot dropped a spike buck at 130 yds. Next evening I shot 3 doe in succession at 100 yds. My 1st deer hunt was an incredible experience and I'm hooked.
Now wanting to buy my first rifle and really like the bar. Is the accuracy is good as a bolt? Should I stay with the 30 06 ? This will probably be my only rifle for some time. Thought about the 270 and even the 338 for all types of big game hunting. Never know where this 1st hunt will lead me to.
Used to be a bunny thumper 30 yrs ago and then quit hunting till now. Want to get back into the game. Almost forgot the thrill of the hunt. Thanks for any input.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Browning BAR newbie

In general bolt actions are more accurate than semi autos although an above average bar can be more accurate than a below average bolt action.Semi autos also have the potential to jam although depending on maintenance and conditions ,this may or may not be a problem.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:33 AM

Default RE: Browning BAR newbie

welcome bk into the sport cheeta264, i probablely wont be much help but, its all up to prefferance, me personally i prefer a bolt, i own brwn gold med a-bolt 2-7mm mag. but we all have our own preffs. and they all carry different price tags.(like i said not being much help) but as far as cal. goes- you said your not sure where your re-kindled flame will take you, your thought of the 338 would be very sufficient for where ever you go. If I'm wrong, someone (i hope) will correct me. good luck on your buying venture.