Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Stupid question .....but I don`t know >

Stupid question .....but I don`t know

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Stupid question .....but I don`t know

Old 02-07-2002, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stupid question .....but I don`t know

so far the pack is what is working lol. Kinda my only option till we return to camp or return to the raft with all the meat and gear. No atv's or boats for this fella....sure would be nice to have a 15ft flat bottom though!
Old 02-08-2002, 12:47 AM

Greets,
Well, so far the biggest animal I have been present for the pack out on only got carried about 400 yards to the road. a couple ( yep 2 athe same time, deer, one 200 plus on the hoof and the other easily 175 ) Only other long pack out was a doe, prob 150 lbs my buddy carried on his back for the 2 1/2 mile pack out. I offered to help, but having recently been in an auto wreck, he insisted on carrying the deer all the way.So I got to carry some 50 + pound of equiptment not counting his rifle. Nothing compared to his pack out *G*.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Don't any of you guys own a "Labrador Magnum Moose Retriever"? They were bred espesialy for retrieving moose and weigh about 700 lbs. They are real handy for pulling your truck out of mud holes too. The draw backs to them are you have to take a second job to by feed for them and of course the house training.

Seriously, I have shot moose that I managed to get a truck within 100yds or so of. Then I quartered them and skidded the meat out on a tobogan. Have also used a quad and an eight wheeled argo. And ONCE carried quarters out on my back.
Robin
Old 02-08-2002, 12:36 PM

The best way for elk is to learn all the cuts of meat you'll want, roasts, steaks etc and bone the whole thing out on the hide at the site of the kill. Took us 10 hours this last season packing a bull out of a deep canyon. 1/2 mile down, 1 mile up. Tough work.
I like your pack RuRu12. It looks like it is really tall. What brand ? Looks like you can get a lot on there.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:49 PM

I still haven't gotten my first big game kill, but I have packed quail, dove, and cottontails....
Old 02-08-2002, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

FlatTop - The pack I'm carrying in the pic is a Cabela's Alaskan I. It does hold allot, is comfortable to carry, and has held-up well. I have a few small gripes, but overall I've been real happy with it's performance. I'm thinking about trying their new Alaskan pack, not sure what model it is but they just added it to their line last season. The new pack attaches to the frame with Velcro type fasteners - instead of the pin & ring system that mine uses - which should make it quieter while moving and easier to remove from the frame. It also has a pocket for a hydration bladder, and a retractable blaze-orange safety flag that can deploy while packing antlers and meat. I think it sells for around $200.00. If memory serves I paid around $100.00 for my Alaskan I.
Old 02-08-2002, 04:54 PM

The best way is to have someone who is strong & stupid hunting with you to pack it out. Lacking that we usually shoot our moose on the bank of the river if it keeps moving you keep shooting. Made the mistake of shooting one about3/4 of a mile off the river once took 3 of us all the next day to get it to the canoe. Never again. Not good to have them kill you after you do them.
Old 02-08-2002, 05:13 PM

I have the Cabelas Alaskan Outfitter frame pack. It is really nice. Excellent support, carries a lot, and is the most comfortable frame I have used. It will also fit about any human body made. It's not cheap, around $95. I used a $10 frame I got from a second hand store for years. Ugly and painful, but it did do the job.

It really is a nice frame for those looking for a new one.
Old 02-08-2002, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Moose can be a real job to pack out if you have to cross or skirt a swamp.

The outfitter we use for bears has a guy with a helicopter that he can call for moose. The guy only charges him $300CDN (approx $200 U.S.) and if you split that a couple ways it's well worth it!
Old 02-08-2002, 05:29 PM

My hat's off to you guys who pack these monsters out the old fashioned way. I won't hunt or shoot anything bigger than a whitetail deer because I usually don't have the manpower to help me drag.

Quick Reply: Stupid question .....but I don`t know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.