Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Shoulder or Double lung

Old 11-28-2003, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shoulder or Double lung

I shoot for the lungs just behind the shoulder on deer, elk and moose reguardless of the cartridge used.A good lung shot will drop game in short order without ruining all the meat that a shoulder shot does.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:39 PM

Syd,

I’d say felt recoil is about a third more than an 30-06 (which isn’t much to begin with).
Technically by the numbers it is more than that:

For a 30-06 (180gr @ 2700):
20.3 pounds recoil energy
12.8 fps recoil velocity (in an 8 pound gun)
21 Taylor Knock Out Index

For a 338WinMag(250gr @ 2700):
33.1 pounds recoil energy
15.4 fps recoil velocity (in a 9 pound gun)
33 Taylor Knock Out Index

My boys started in with 338’s at age 19 and 160 pounds – didn’t phase them.
EKM
--------------------------------------

Wyote,
I understand exactly what you are saying, but most don' t seem to think so! It will be just our little secret, Shhhhh!

Regarding meat wastage, since I use " heavy bullet/medium speed" instead of " hyperspeed" getting blood shot meat throughout the quarter is not a significant problem. We butcher our own meat I' d say the " throw away" is in ounces not pounds and it' s coming out of a region of the elk' s body reknowned for roasts, berger, and jerky. So, personally (using the heavy/medium speed cartridge), I will accept the meat loss involved with my version of the double lunger (via the shoulder) and then pick up the added benefit of wiping out the front axle at the same time on these very durable game animals like elk (and moose if I get the chance).

EKM
Old 11-29-2003, 02:52 AM

A shoulder shot is a double lung shot!
Don' t count on it, slugs can do strange things after contacting or even busting through bone. Nobody can accurately predict which path it will go after bone contact is made.Granted, shoulder breakage is almost 100%, but after that it' s a guessing game. I' ve accidently hit deer in the shoulders when quick shots were needed[ deer leaving town in a real hurry], and always hated the fist sized or bigger exit holes,just a waste of meat as far as I' m concerned.[:' (]
By the way, I' ve never had a deer move more than 5 ft. after a good double lung hit, most drop on the spot, never to move again. 180gr. coming out of a 30.06 is a fantastic thing[8D]
Old 11-29-2003, 09:34 AM

I' d hate to resort to anatomy books. Please, check it out. A " center of shoulder" shot has no more bone impact factor than a " tucked in tight behind the shoulder" shot -- just ribs in either case.

Only if you move well forward or well downward of a " center of shoulder" shot do bones of consequence come into play. Especially when pursuing true big game (not deer), it' s always nice to have some " magnum bone crunching power" on hand to take care of impact points that end up being just a wee bit different from the intended aim points. I know this variance is hard to believe, but this actually occurs in the field, but of course, NEVER happens on the Internet Hunting Forums.

BTW, though, a 30-06 with 180 gr. Partitions is good medicene --- we consider it to be the minimum allowed in our elk camp (7mmRemMags okay as minimum too). It will run out of gas as ranges increase and arrive with less killing power compared to some cartridges that are available and I believe that is one of the concerns raised by the thread originator.

EKM
Old 11-29-2003, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have grown older & I hope wiser.
I shoot elk in the shoulder with premium bullets. I hate long tracking jobs.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t always have a say so in the matter, but if I had a choice I would choose a shot quartering away behind the shoulder would be my perfeck shot, but I never go for the shoulder any way, always just behind the shoulder, this has proved successful for me for deer and elk as well as hogs down south. My deer and elk shots this year were shot just behind the shoulder into the lungs, neither of them went 50 yrds as their chest cavities were filled with blood as they may have drowned in their own blood. I like this shot because it has more room for error and a lot less waste of meat. I use a Remington model 700 30-06, spittin 180 gr coreloks. I would not hesitate to use this same set up on moose or bear.
Bobby
Old 11-29-2003, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice EKM. I am only 21, but I am not a small person about 6' 220lbs the 30-06 doesn' t bother me a bit same goes for my buddies .300. So I don' t think i will havea problem with the .338 now just to deiced what model to choose!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 01:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I want to anchor animal for any reason, I will take the shoulder shot. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

My 338 has a " perceived" less recoil than my 7 mm mag. Why? Probably because I have a featherweight stock on my 7mm and the 338 is about 9 pounds. Anyway, I get a fast jab from the 7mm and a somewhat slower feeling push from the 338. Don' t get me wrong, if I shoot the 338 10 times, my shoulder and neck are going to know it the next day. But the 338 doesn' t seem to give me a flinch as much as the 7mm. I would either get a heavier 338 or get one with a recoil arrester on it.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always go for the double lung shot with big game that is broadside. If you shoot for the shoulder you may not break both front legs. It's amazing how far a deer or larger animal can go with 3 legs before it bleeds out.

Through the lungs, I can't remember a deer or Elk going more than 100 yards. Plus, you're more likely to clip a major artery/vein to/from the heart in the lungs. In that way, the animal is losing large volume of blood quickly and loose of O2 to the body and brain brings the animal down sooner.

As my grandpa Victor used to say, too. Don't go chasing the animal down as soon as you shoot it, even when you think it's a fatal shoot. A deer at least is more likely to run a ways and lay down, to bleed to death if it isn't being chased. He'd always smoke his pipe for 15 minutes or so after shooting big game animal before starting to track it. A very successful hunter he was and wise in his own way.

Bottom line. Heart/lungs are a higher probability of quick clean kill... imo

minnfinn

Quick Reply: Shoulder or Double lung

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.