Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Best Cartridge for Elk Hunting: Bringing Down the Big Bulls >

Best Cartridge for Elk Hunting: Bringing Down the Big Bulls

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Cartridge for Elk Hunting: Bringing Down the Big Bulls

Old 01-06-2023, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

I would guess the 06 has killed more bulls then any other, more then all combined perhaps. 270 has killed a lot of bulls. 300 win mag and 7mm mag have killed lots....if stats matter, you have your answer,
Old 01-11-2023, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Love my 300WM.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hardcastonly
if they offered a $50 out of state atlatl license for elk ,Id damn sure have to buy and train with one,
until I could consistently , rapidly and accurately punch holes in a coke can at 50 yards with that projectile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNQsGT53I-0
Does it matter that all tribes using an atlatl for hunting are now extinct?
Old 01-12-2023, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by elkman30
Does it matter that all tribes using an atlatl for hunting are now extinct?

I carried a crossbow, two muzzleloaders, a .45-70, .30-06 and .300 savage after deer this year... and my tribe would have went extinct!

Sometimes it goes that way
Old 01-13-2023, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Dang Jake. What happened? You seem to always tag at least 1 each year.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Dang Jake. What happened? You seem to always tag at least 1 each year.

To be fair dad got two bucks and Jayden (wife's cousin that we have custody of) got two bucks. I was with him for both those.

So I would have taken a nice one if I'd been the one pulling the trigger.
So it was a good season. Might still take one in Ohio's late archery season here if I get motivated to go out in the cold.

-Jake
Old 05-17-2023, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hardcastonly
Its not what you carry so much as how good/consistent you are in its use and understanding its limitations that maters.
if I have to select something .
Truth.

There's so, SO much more to elk hunting than which rifle you carry.

Old 05-18-2023, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Yep, this guy operating on the false Magic caliber theory.
Pardon the tardiness but I just saw this because someone woke it up. I have to ask you Oldtmr, why that comment? Hardcast was spot on in his statement. How many Elk have you harvested Oldtimr? What cartridge/rifle combo did you use?
The old man started all of us Elk hunting at young ages and I've had the opportunity to harvest several with several options such as, Compound bow, rifles of varying calibers, as well as muzzle loaders. As far as rifles, I have used 8mm Mauser that the old man built for me when I was a teenager, a .30/06 Model 70 Win with 200gr sierras if I remember correctly, a 7mm mag loaded up with 175gr sierra spitzers, the lowly, anemic, underpowerd .30/30 that has taken more game on this continent than pretty much anything else, and one cow with a .444marlin.
As Hardcast stated, it's not so much what you use but how you use it and understand it's range and penetration limitations. The old man thought the 7mm/08 was a bit too under-powered for elk but he proved himself wrong. Dropped a couple in their tracks with one and had 2 more go less than 100 yards. He just knew he couldn't, or rather wouldn't, take shots over 200 yards with it and only perfect quarter away behind the shoulder on anything over 100. In other words, within the cartridge/rifles limitations.
So again I ask Oldtimr, how many Elk have you taken? Rather than snide and unproductive comments, provide some useful information for the board for a change.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

^^^ This.

Oldtimr, I don't think you understood what hardcastonly was talking about. Nothing he posted about some "false Magic caliber theory." Read his posts again. He didn't advocate an atlatl elk season. He just said if one was established, that he would practice until he was proficient before trying it. If you read through his posts, you'll notice that he doesn't take shots beyond his abilities or those of his weapons. He has respect for the animals he hunts. Instead of bashing him, you would do well to read what he posts more carefully and make sure you actually understand what he's writing about. I have a lot of respect for hardcast as a hunter and as somebody who often posts thought provoking stuff that makes me think. I respect your service as a game warden but find it hard to have the same respect for you when you get things wrong and then jump somebody's case anyways. Go ahead and flame me if that's what you think you need to do but I bet you that if you polled everybody who posted in this thread, they would all say you misunderstood hardcast and got it wrong. Just sayin.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, this guy operating on the false Magic caliber theory.
Originally Posted by hunters_life
Pardon the tardiness but I just saw this because someone woke it up. I have to ask you Oldtmr, why that comment? Hardcast was spot on in his statement. How many Elk have you harvested Oldtimr? What cartridge/rifle combo did you use?
The old man started all of us Elk hunting at young ages and I've had the opportunity to harvest several with several options such as, Compound bow, rifles of varying calibers, as well as muzzle loaders. As far as rifles, I have used 8mm Mauser that the old man built for me when I was a teenager, a .30/06 Model 70 Win with 200gr sierras if I remember correctly, a 7mm mag loaded up with 175gr sierra spitzers, the lowly, anemic, underpowerd .30/30 that has taken more game on this continent than pretty much anything else, and one cow with a .444marlin.
As Hardcast stated, it's not so much what you use but how you use it and understand it's range and penetration limitations. The old man thought the 7mm/08 was a bit too under-powered for elk but he proved himself wrong. Dropped a couple in their tracks with one and had 2 more go less than 100 yards. He just knew he couldn't, or rather wouldn't, take shots over 200 yards with it and only perfect quarter away behind the shoulder on anything over 100. In other words, within the cartridge/rifles limitations.
So again I ask Oldtimr, how many Elk have you taken? Rather than snide and unproductive comments, provide some useful information for the board for a change.
hunters-life you need a lesson on reading comprehension . Go back and read what OT typed when he quoted Hardcastonly . OT was totally agreeing with Hardcastonly .

" Yep, this guy operating on the false Magic caliber theory "

" Yep " OT is agreeing with Hardcastonly . And the rest - " THIS GUY " operating on the false Magic caliber theory " Dont you think if OT was directing his comment towards Hardcastonly he would of said " YOU " instead of " THIS GUY " ? OT was referring to AmmoDotCom who is constantly posting about his magic calibers and never taking into account terrain or possible distance to target. Its always about the caliber with him. YOU owe OT an apology for your ridiculous snarly accusation .

Last edited by SportsmanNH; 05-20-2023 at 05:28 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.