Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk Hunting Outfitter Advice >

Elk Hunting Outfitter Advice

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting Outfitter Advice

Old 02-12-2022, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by AllissaWade
Where is the cheapest place to hunt elk?
Beware of a "cheap elk hunt" because you will probably get what you paid for. That being said there are some places in NM and UT that run late season cow hunts for about $1500 plus the cost of a license. There are also some places in West TX that sometimes have good deals on cow elk hunts but there are more places that have hunts for red deer hinds which is pretty close to the same thing as a cow elk but slightly smaller. In TX elk are classified as livestock even if they are free ranging so they can be hunted year round and don't require an expensive license. As for me, I grew up in CO hunting elk so that is where I go but I have never hired an outfitter for elk so can't say which one is better than the others.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:46 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
The only outfitters I have used were in Newfoundland 3 times on woodland caribou hunts. The outfitters were a legal necessity for a non resident hunter. We used the same outfitter each time and had a quality experience. My hunting partner Rob did all the fact checking and called for references. I think that is important and urge you to double check everything. For what it is worth DIY elk hunts on public land can be difficult for someone who hasn't hunted elk. My suggestion is for that first time hunt to hire a good guide and learn the ways of western elk hunting from them.
I second your suggestion!