Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO Bear Scouting

Old 06-30-2021, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default CO Bear Scouting

Yesterday I went into the Bosque de Oso WMA are in CO for the first time. I drew a limited bear tag for the unit (only 2 tags issued) and I wanted to get the lay of the land. Incredible looking area. Found a couple of tracks and found some areas with a lot of Gambel's Oak and currant bushes. Come fall the bears should be hitting those areas to lay on calories. This area has a number of gas wells and the energy guys spend a lot of time in the area. I have found they can be really good sources of info so I ran a couple of them down. They broke out their well pad maps (a lot more detailed than any topo map) and showed me where they have been seeing a lot of bear. One of them had a video on their cell phone from the day before that showed a really big bear in the same area I cut the tracks in. One of the energy guys took my cell phone number and told me he would pass on any additional bear sightings they get.

In a month or so I'm going to contact the game warden for the area and get any input from him as well. Bosque de Oso is only a 3 hr drive from Amarillo so I can spend as many weekends as I want checking the place out between now and Oct. Looking like it will be a good bear hunt!
Old 06-30-2021, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds promising and a good score with the Well workers. Best of luck!