Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
New Mexico Unit 30 Pronghorn Youth Hunter Advice >

New Mexico Unit 30 Pronghorn Youth Hunter Advice

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New Mexico Unit 30 Pronghorn Youth Hunter Advice

Old 07-20-2021, 09:35 AM
Spike

Default New Mexico Unit 30 Pronghorn Youth Hunter Advice

My 16 yr old daughter was awarded a donated Archery Mature Buck only Pronghorn Tag for unit 30 in NM. She recieved it by being chosen from a large group of kids that entered an essay contest.

We learned of her receiving it about a week ago and the season starts in about 2 weeks so we have very little prep time.

Any advice at all on any topic relating to the hunt would be appreciated.

She shoots regularly out to 40 yards and can hit a whitetail vitals area easily at that range. We are working on extending her range to 50 and at 50 she is hitting vitals 3 out of 5 shots right now. Only room for 1 more pin in her housing that might get her out to 55 yards.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Old 07-20-2021, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

are you asking for help in finding a place to hunt, or, questions about shooting distance and thoughts on her skills ??

and congrats to her on being lucky enough to get a tag!

Old 07-20-2021, 10:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
are you asking for help in finding a place to hunt, or, questions about shooting distance and thoughts on her skills ??

and congrats to her on being lucky enough to get a tag!
Thanks! It's like winning the lottery.
We're asking for any advice or tips. Tactics for that unit considering it has had alot of rain lately. Recommend equipment, etc. I understand the population in that unit is in a relatively small area compared to all public land available so a starting point on where to stick around would be great.

We're going to get her skills high as I can but I'm a Midwest whitetail guy coming in to a whole new ballgame.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

MY suggestion would be contact the game warden in that area and ask him your questions about where and when and WHY
I would spend some time on googl;e earth looking at things on places you can hunt, looking for places that have green vegetation and or water.
and from theer do some time in person scouting them!

as for equipment
its about just like any other hunt, amount of gear one wants to have is some times more personal than needed

but good optic's get my vote,
and not knowing what type of hunting you plan to do, makes adding more harder
as big difference in what all is needed in ,different types of hunts
a s in say,
spot and stalk,
stand hunting,
or sitting in a blind for hours

all require different gear to be happy for most folks!

but basic gear appropriate for temps at time of hunt is all that is needed , real easy to over think things and or feel a need to carry a lot of gadgets and extra's that seldom ever leave the pack
Old 07-20-2021, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any guides in that area? They might be able to give you some idea of what to expect as a phone courtesy.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:13 PM
Spike

MY suggestion would be contact the game warden in that area and ask him your questions about where and when and WHY
I would spend some time on googl;e earth looking at things on places you can hunt, looking for places that have green vegetation and or water.

as for equipment
its about just like any other hunt, amount of gear one wants to have is some times more personal than needed

a s in say,
spot and stalk,
stand hunting,

but basic gear appropriate for temps at time of hunt is all that is needed , real easy to over think things and or feel a need to carry a lot of gadgets and extra's that seldom ever leave the pack
I have spoken to the game warden and he has given me alot of info. I appreciate that suggestion.
We will be doing spot and stalk as well as bringing a blind for water sits.

Thanks for the good advice on not over thinking and bringing too much gear.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by elkman30
Any guides in that area? They might be able to give you some idea of what to expect as a phone courtesy.
I'll have to look in to that. I figured they would be tight lipped.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:25 PM
Spike

as for equipment

a s in say,
spot and stalk,
stand hunting,

Thanks for all the stuff to think about. I have talked to the game warden in the area and he has given me some good information.

It looks like we are going to be doing a combination of some spot and stalks, and sitting on water if it looks like a good option when we get there. From everything I've been seeing, they are getting so much rain down there that there is water everywhere.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

I know that guy's do it.... But I can't imagine Spot and stalk with archery equipment. Especially with a 40 or 50 yard limit. That would be very difficult. But again ... People do it. And it may just work.

For archery I'd be looking for a way to set up on either water or if there's a known food source that they are hitting regularly. Water would be your best bet but if it's been wet out there ... Maybe not.

I would call and speak to game wardens in the area, county tourism numbers, the local police or county sheriff, if you're a member of a church or another organization like girl scouts or something contact a local leader....
Anything that would open the door for you to say...." Hey you don't know me, but I'm a member of XYZ and my daughter was drawn for a hunt....."

I would also get onx maps and begin looking for good places. Use the property owner information and look up phone numbers and start making calls. I *think* that landowners will be allot more helpful knowing it's a young lady coming out to hunt.

Lastly, make sure you post back here after she's successful and let us know the story!

-Jake
Old 07-21-2021, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

acre value is another web site that list land owners names, and its FREE< or you can join the premium side for a fee!(no contact info however unless you do the pay for service premium members)
just in case you wanted a second option opver just Onx!

here is a link!

https://www.acrevalue.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.