Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Question about Wyoming doe/fawn antelope >

Question about Wyoming doe/fawn antelope

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Question about Wyoming doe/fawn antelope

Old 01-15-2021, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Question about Wyoming doe/fawn antelope

I am planning to hunt pronghorn with a couple of partners in Wyoming this October. We'll apply for non-resident permits in the draw. We are not trophy hunters. We are thinking that we may be interested in getting a doe/fawn permit in order to take two pronghorn's home for the freezer (e.g., one pronghorn taken under our drawn "Any Antelope" permit and a second pronghorn taken under a doe/fawn permit).

What is the story on these doe/fawn permits? How do you get these? Is the best approach to apply post-drawing for these as left-over permits? Can they be bought over-the-counter while we are in Wyoming during hunting season? Are these pretty commonly available or is it the case that only a select few units offer doe/fawn permits?
Old 01-15-2021, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a separate drawing for the reduced price doe/fawn tags. It used to be easy to draw the doe/fawn tags but in the past couple of years the demand for them has made it quite difficult in some (most) units. Based on the 2020 drawing odds, if you are interested on one then you need to apply for it during the initial application period, as there will be very few (if any) available in the leftover draw. In 2020 there were many more license applications than in 2019. In many areas it was a only remote chance of drawing a doe/fawn tag to go with your AA tag (ex. #73 was somewhere around 10% in the initial draw).. Hopefully the 2020 draw odds will not be repeated this year, but I have a bad feeling that many Covid-19 checks from Uncle Sam will be used to fund hunts again.

When you apply there will be a box you can check to remove your doe/fawn application from the draw if you did not draw an Any Antelope license. If you do draw the AA tag on a second choice pick you will still be in the doe/fawn drawing, but your tags might end up being in areas that are very far from each other. If you list a second choice area choose wisely.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd apply with your main tag if possible.

There may be some well into summer/early fall, but don't count on it. I had a friend this fall come out for one of the units with an outfitter, where most of that land is private. He got one at the last second (well 2 weeks before he flew out here), but when I looked on line just about all doe tags where gone, I think he grabbed one of hte last 2 even in a mostly private land area.

OTC is theoretically possible but realistically not possible.

If you get one, get used to looking for that black cheek patch!