Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

im back from elk hunting

Old 11-07-2003, 01:52 PM
jjt

Default im back from elk hunting

well I had a blast we seen elk every day some days we seen over 300

wednesday we were in elk 100 yards of the road but they turned out to be all bulls
just my luck all we had were cow tags

so we went on glassing the mountains and found a very large herd 100+ and then another 150+ but they were to far away for today

thursday we ran into a small herd on the way back into the larger herd so we watched them bed and planned a stalk we were within 100 yards when i almost stepped on some mule deer that ruined the whole set up lol
there was animals runnin everywhere it would have been great to catch on camera

friday we left at first light and were walking up the old road when we spotted a herd of elk feeding out of the trees about 300 yards away
we stalked up to within 75 yards when we were finally busted (no cover)

well we picked a cow and a calf that were pretty close and the rest is history
but the freezer is full

i put 2 shots into the cow 1 into the lungs 1 into the shoulder
my brother put 1 into the lungs and 1 into the neck of the calf
both animals were laying within 5 feet of each other

sorry for the poor quality pictures i didnt think of takeing any till i was writing this post

Old 11-07-2003, 02:09 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Default RE: im back from elk hunting

Congratulations, jjt! Glad you got your elk and sounds like you had alot of fun at the same time!
Old 11-07-2003, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! I did the same style of photo with a caribou I shot about a week ago and got yelled at by a buddy. I don' t mine em though.

Sounds like the majority of the elk hunters here tagged out this year. Must be learnin each other in purty good like. [&:]
Old 11-07-2003, 08:08 PM
jjt

ABM

I read a post here this summer about game pictures(I dont recall the exact post sorry)
it was very informative on taking photos of your animals in the field and i have tried to do some things to make my photos better

however i could not justify taking that elk back down washing her up and dragging her out in the front yard to get a good pict and I dont carry my digital camera out in the below zero temps (battery dont last)

so to anybody who finds this pict in bad taste i apologize and hope you will not hold it against me

on another note this picture shows the awsum size of the great wapiti this is a avarage size cow i am standing next to
i am 6 ft tall and 190 - 200 lbs(for reference)
Old 11-07-2003, 08:29 PM

jjt,

Congratulations on a good harvest! It is always nice to see lots of elk, whether you get into them or not --- keeps the spirits up. Good job on perservering and prevailing --- some mental toughness there! I think they look very nice hanging out together --- just waiting for an appointment with the butcher --- yum-yum!

Anyone who has ever seen the " kill floor" of a commerical high volume slaughter house in operation will consider these photos quite acceptable --- " Big Macs" don' t grow on a vine! Everyone, except vegetarians, is part of our society' s " killing for hire" /meat supply arrangement. At least these animals had a sporting chance (unlike domestic stock) and are now being cared for, butchered, and consumed " in house" --- all part of the " circle of life."

EKM
Old 11-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn' t agree more EKM!

Great picture I think. Huge Elk for just a cow and calf! Congrats on the great hunt. I got my spike Elk this year too (spike is only legal elk for general in WA) and wife has a cow permit that lasts 3 months so we' re in for lots of Elk meat this winter too.

Congrats again!
Old 11-08-2003, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

jjt, I find your picture highly offensive to post on this board. You should know better than this. As a measure of good faith, I think you should send me 3 foot of prime backstrap since I didn' t tag an elk this year.

By the way, heavy on the sarcasm, Congrats