Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Back from Elk Hunting >

Back from Elk Hunting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Back from Elk Hunting

Old 09-13-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Back from Elk Hunting

Just got back last night from four wonderful days black powder elk hunting in the Colorado mountains. Got to our normal spot on Friday to discover a search and rescue effort under way for a bow hunter who was lost. Apparently, the noise of ATV's and airplaned flying over low disturbed the elk. It was slim pickings.

On Sunday afternoon, we moved down to some BLM lands at lower elevation. Spotted a herd at a couple miles away. After a long stalk, much of it on hands and knees through the tall sage brush, we got right up on them. My brother in law got a heavy 6 X 6 bull and I managed to drop a cow from the herd before they got into full retreat.

Both of us used the 410 Hornady Great Plains bullet ahead of a Ballistic Bridge Sub Base. His shot was quartering away - elk had his head down feeding at about 35 yards.- bullet went in the last rib and came out just behind the shoulder. The big bull lumbered about 50 yards, stopped, and paused for almost a minute before going down.

My shot was at about 150 yards broadside. The bullet hit the lungs and went clear through. Elk staggered about 30 yards and piled up. Both bullets, while not recovered, appeared to make a wound channel about the size of .25 cent piece through the lungs. On the way out, we ran into some other hunters who had been at it for three days without even seeing an animal. I guess we were lucky. Have the tenderloins marinating in olive oil and garlic for supper tonight. Life is good.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Back from Elk Hunting

Great job partner!

Old 09-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

AWESOME!!! Good job on your hunt!!

Only 5 more days, I know I can make, I know I can, I know I can, I know I can...Ohhh the temptation to go!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:49 PM

Now didn't you feel just a little bit silly when alll that meat hit the ground at once?
Good job! But what a way to make a lot of work.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice going Roskoe. 410 Hornady Great Plains on how much powder... and shot through that cow at that distance..WOW! What rifle were you shooting?

And then you get people tell you that muzzleloaders have very little killing power past 50 yards. Or the ones that tell you that you have to be so careful with them because they just are not accurate at any distance. That goes to show how much some of the people are aware of what a real muzzleloader can do....

Congratulations Roskoe !!!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 04:24 PM

My bother in law shoots a Cabela's rolling block (Pedersoli) with 110 grains of Triple 7. I was using my T/C Black Diamond with 120 grains of Triple 7. Both of these guns shoot this loadinto about2" at 100 yards with open sights. Although I didn't hear the first bullet hit the bull at close range, both of us heard a loud "ka-whock" when that big flat-point bullet hit the cow elk in the ribs at 150 yards. It was impressive.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Dominant Buck

That is some mighty fine shooting there on your part... and a double lung at that. Most impressive load to say the least. Not something I would want to shoot all day though...
Old 09-13-2005, 06:04 PM
BS

Glad for your sucess!

Nice to see thart you had a backup plan. I think that being mobile and having alternate plans are very important in sucess, as you proved to be true.

Them 410s shoot very good for me too, once I discovered the Sub-Base!

Old 09-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Dominant Buck

where do you get your sub bases from?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:05 PM
BS

http://www.mmpsabots.com/

Bottom of page, no tax and free shipping, if I remember right?

Quick Reply: Back from Elk Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.