Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Good Binoculars for elk & deer spotting? >

Good Binoculars for elk & deer spotting?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Good Binoculars for elk & deer spotting?

Old 09-02-2020, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Swarovski EL 10x42 are my go to glass.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
For that price range I doubt if you will find better binoculars than the Nikon Monarch 7....
Okay, I just returned from moving the youngest daughter and her boyfriend out of state. On the way back, the wife and I stopped at a Cabela's and on Big Uncle's recommendation, we checked out Nikon's Monarch 7 binos in both 8x42 and 10x42. They were priced at $479.99 and $499.99 respectively. Wow!!!! They were smaller and lighter weight than the Vortex and every bit as good of glass. I wouldn't say they are on the same level as Swarovski EL's but they are awesome binoculars for under $500. For the OP, you may want to look further at one of these models as they are within your price point and were some very good glass. I still like Vortex but the wife is now seriously ready to drop $$ on a pair of Monarch 7's.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:38 AM
Spike

Responses to individual posts below, going to try the following models first:

Vortex Viper HD binos in 10x42

Nikon Monarch 7 10x42, 8x42

Cabela’s had these all in stock in an area I’m driving through next week. I’m a little surprised about the return policy there. I asked if I could get 3 to try out in low light and return one and they were encouraging about it. Typically I hate doing that but it’s the only way I’ll be able to get them and line them up in real world conditions against a Swarovski someone else I know has. I’ll continue updating the thread once I have more info.

Note, reviews on amazon say third party sellers are selling the Nikons without their full warranty even when it looks like you’re ordering from Nikon direct, replacing the 25 year with a 1 year. Be careful if you shop there.

Originally Posted by CalHunter
I went in and approved your post above so it won't show as moderated (pending approval, usually happens for the 1st 5 posts or so).

It sounds like you're on the right track. I don't know about taking a picture through a pair of binoculars but that doesn't mean it can't be done though. I've seen some camera/cell phone adapters for astronomy scopes and assume one could find same/similar for spotting scopes. My experience with spotting scopes is you usually get close to $1K or so if you want better quality and less mirage effect. With a $500 price point for binoculars, I can personally vouch for Vortex Viper HD binos in 8x42 and 10x42 (I own both). I looked through Vortex's lesser models at a major store and wasn't as impressed. Vortex has a top of the line Razor model but those are always over $1K. With the Viper models, you get really good glass as a price point you can afford. I have looked through other makes of binoculars and they seem to have a similar quality level at the mid-price point for each brand. Hopefully this helps some.

Thanks, appreciated! I’ve seen some cheap ones advertised, or should I say binos with cell phone attachments, on Amazon. I’ve bookmarked $1k in my budget for a scope with some upward room for next year.

Originally Posted by elkman30
+1 on Vortex. The Viper model is a good one although not quite as good as the razor model. For the money you spend on a razor, you're getting close to Zeiss and Swarovski lower level binoculars which are outstanding quality.

Thanks! I will compare the Razor with the Zeiss and Swarovski once I can go back into the stores.

For that price range I doubt if you will find better binoculars than the Nikon Monarch 7. 10x42 would be my choice. My wife has her choice of any binoculars on this planet and likes the Monarch 7 the best. At last count she had three pairs. I use Swarovski almost exclusively, and she like the Nikon better than mine. Of course since she married me many years ago there is no accounting for her taste. I think the Nikons are a great value and so are the Meopta products. To my eyes the Meopta looks almost as good as the Swarovski's do. Meopta is quite a bit less expensive than the Swarovski but the quality seems very close to me.

Look at the birdwatching sites. Those folks are serious about their equipment and do not seem to be particularly brand loyal. I believe that you will find a few recommendations there.

Your wife must have good taste! I got in contact with a buddy from college that recommended the Nikon Monarch. He works in raptor management and said that’s what he uses along with a high end scope. I’ll check out the bird watchers when I have time.

Originally Posted by mthusker
I have a couple pairs I use, my favorite are the Swarovski's. I actually just sent them in to have them cleaned and serviced. I also have a pair of Zeiss plus i have a Zeiss scope on one of my rifles. If buying a new pair, I would look at Swarovski or Leica personally, if buying the best pair of bino's was only consideration. That said, there are lots of good makes out there, and trying a few pair is a good decision, everyone's different in what they like. Both Zeiss and Swarovski have been excellent when it comes to customer service, which I value quite a bit. Good luck ......think about buying a phonescope or similiar device for taking pics!

Thanks, I’ll reference this again next spring when I go look at the higher end stuff!

Originally Posted by mrbb
if your goals is to try and photo trespassers and hunters, I would maybe suggest looking at BUYING some GOOD camera's or video camera's , they will have stabilizers built in to help you get better details on things farther away than an adapter and a cell phone ever will!
Originally Posted by mrbb
I still say if your Not walking or carrying things FAR as in on your body
your way better off with larger objective optic's
they will normally add better low light viewing by design of the larger lens
8x42-x10x42 are great hunting binoculars as they give you a good amount few everything, but when looking Afar and not worried about weight and overall size, the larger objective's give you more for your money! there is a lot of info on the wb of how light works in optic's its ratio of eye to objective len size and magnification
the HIGHER the magnification the FASTER light leave s things
a simple example when two optic's GLASS is the same, and you have say a 8x42 and a 10x42
the 8 power will allow you to see longer in evenings

BUT when you got to say a 10x56 mm objective, the gains of the lower 8 power are NOT as great due to that larger 56 mm objective lens allows more light to work with!

but again, if you look into some higher end camera's, video recorders(not sure exact name anymore, at tome time way cam corders, and likes?)
but they sell some very good ones that work pretty well into low light(not as good as GOOD binoculars will )
but you have have all things on video if you want, still be able to ZOOM in and just LOOK, will need more batteries maybe for a LL day event, but rechargeable battery's are out there so, you can buy a couple and always have good charged back ups!
but it will be saving you a step in trying to add a camera to a optic to get a picture or video!

and allow documenting things even easier
speaking from experience, if your trying to have someone arrested for trespassing or?? video of them doing so in court works a LOT better than pictures ever do!

I’ve got a lot of game cameras out right now. I think you’re right ideally about the camera and video, but it’s not practical at this point. Bookmarked for when I review this again next year.

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Swarovski EL 10x42 are my go to glass.

Noted to try next spring!

Okay, I just returned from moving the youngest daughter and her boyfriend out of state. On the way back, the wife and I stopped at a Cabela's and on Big Uncle's recommendation, we checked out Nikon's Monarch 7 binos in both 8x42 and 10x42. They were priced at $479.99 and $499.99 respectively. Wow!!!! They were smaller and lighter weight than the Vortex and every bit as good of glass. I wouldn't say they are on the same level as Swarovski EL's but they are awesome binoculars for under $500. For the OP, you may want to look further at one of these models as they are within your price point and were some very good glass. I still like Vortex but the wife is now seriously ready to drop $$ on a pair of Monarch 7's.

I decided try out some of your top picks (see top message above).

Old 09-26-2020, 09:46 AM
Spike

Update:

I have been trying all 3 binos out at different times. The vortec do not seem to be as high of quality as the nikons. Oddly my business partner likes them better, but they wear glasses and I don't. I notice a somewhat manipulated effect in the vortecs almost like a camera filter. They do seem to work fine, as in I could use them if that was all I knew, but compared to the Nikons they don't express the world as clearly through them or have as good of depth of field.

I find myself trying to pick between the Nikons now and don't have answer. The 8x42s are easier to pick up and scan and hold steady and have pretty good detail, but the 10x42s bring everything in proper close when I try to look for something specific. The 10x42s allowed me to pick up better detail before sunrise when it's still pretty dark, but they are harder to hold still and I notice a little more eyestrain.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the world of binoculars. I already have 3 different pairs of Vortex and an older pair of Swarovski's (not the EL model). I will likely end up with a pair or 2 of Nikon Monarch 7's. I only tried the Nikon Monarch 7's in Cabelas and not outside. I was impressed with the Monarchs and after your above post, I know I'll end up with probably the 8x42's and the 10x42's. I like having options as needed for different kinds of hunting. Someday when I have the extra disposable income, I'll spring for a pair of Swarovski EL's but for now, I have been able to buy/experiment with all of the previous binos for less than the price of 1 pair of Swarovski EL's.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crap. Now you're makin me think about a pair of Monarchs.