Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Bear Bait- liquid soft serve >

Bear Bait- liquid soft serve

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Bait- liquid soft serve

Old 05-17-2020, 07:28 PM
Spike

Exclamation Bear Bait- liquid soft serve

Wondering if anyone uses expired soft serve ice cream, liquid form, for putting in their baits. I have a lead on some from a local ice-cream shop. My main concern is that if I take it, can I store it in my cool basement for 2.5 months and use it in the bait I mix up or should I store it at 32-40 degrees that the shop stores it at. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-18-2020, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

i think you will need to freeze it, as between now and 2.5 months,m it might spoil, get moldy or likes, as even if kept at the temps they do, if its already outs=dated(which is why I gather your getting it)
things can go bad from here out even at correct temp, only way to solve things will be to freeze and prevent things from spoiling more(mold, bacteria growing and so on)

Old 05-18-2020, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Check the laws of where you are going to use it. Here in the northeast using anything with chocolate in it is illegal.
Not sure about where you live or where you plan on using it , just saying to check the laws..
Old 05-20-2020, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not sure about using soft serve. Back when I grew up in CO and he hunted bear over bait I found old cooking oil and bacon grease poured on a rotting stump worked best. It would soak down into the wood and last a long time. Scatter pieces of old pastry around for them to find and snack on. But we had too many fools from CA move into CO and they outlawed spring bear hunting, hunting bear over bait and hunting bear with dogs and then they tossed outlawing trapping onto the same bill.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Flags, I agree Bacon grease and such works better, butt also can illegal
as in some places that allow baiting,
they don't don;t all use of any meat o r meat by products
lots of rules now on baiting
and many even require ALL bait and bait residue be removed after a certain point,
so grease gets tricky there too, as it again soaks into things

so, anyone using bait, make sure you check laws and what you can use and NOT use really good, devil is in the details and don;t want to get a fine, or have a bear you get taken off you due to a small error on not knowing fine print like so to speak!