Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Travel plans

Old 03-10-2020, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Travel plans

It sure looks like I will not be flying anywhere to hunt this summer. Travel by car only is in my immediate future considering the possible spread of the coronavirus. I would bet that airline travel issues will have a major effect on the African outfitters this season.

If anyone is bold enough to book a hunt they should be able to get big discounts on both airfare and outfitting. I am not that bold.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

I hadn't thought about Alaska until you mentioned it here but that's a good point. Be interesting to see what happens for hunting and fishing charters up there.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can drive everywhere I want to hunt except for Alaska. It might take longer but there's less hassles with your rifle and ammo and no extra charges for how much meat you bring home. I wasn't gonna hunt Alaska this year anyway so no airline flights for me.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

maybe it'll be easier to draw good tags this year
Old 03-22-2020, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

I thought perhaps we would hear something from our own FWP here in Montana on moving the application deadline back from April 1. So far it does not look like any action will be taken. Personally I think the clock needs to be halted for all apps until we have a handle on what is happening here in our country.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know a couple of guys that are cancelling their guided elk hunts. Concerns about travel, hotel rooms, and hunting camps are a big topic of discussion lately.

It really might be easier to draw a license this year if a number of nonresidents stay at home.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

For the first time in decades I didn't put in for CO tags. All I was going to put in for are preference points but I would have to buy an $83 license for small game in order to apply. Given all the restrictions I passed. Looks like I'll be hunting deer and hogs here in TX.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nothing exotic but I have a deposit on a wild hog hunt in SC the end of May. I spoke to the outfitter and he is waiting for a while to see what he will do. He said the state is considering making anyone who comes into SC from the NE to quarantine for two weeks, or they have already done it. My deposit will be good even if I wait til next year to hunt but I would rather go when booked.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:40 AM
Spike

It’s true. Our governor here in SC is asking anyone that comes in from out of state to self quarantine for 14 days.