Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Purchase your Wyoming points >

Purchase your Wyoming points

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Purchase your Wyoming points

Old 07-15-2019, 02:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
No way around it if you want to draw those tags. Unfortunately

-Jake
True enough and I might think differently if I were 40 years old. Some time ago the points system was fairly inexpensive and in Colorado if you had a previous big game license the year before it was just a small handling fee. Looking over some of the other western states points system it is clear it is just a huge money maker with the sportsmen being held hostage. You want to hunt you have to pay. I saw Colorado's NR elk tags go up around 70% over the 10 years I hunted there. Still no problem with that. I expect as time goes on prices rise. Now bring in the other side of it and if you want to hunt a decent area you have to play the PP game which costs extra. I look at it like buying the multiplier on the lottery. No winners but paying more gives you hope. I would have absolutely no problem with the PP system if they allowed banking. If a person has 10 points and he wants to try for a tag that is middle of the road and traditionally has taken 6 points then when he draws he should still have 4 points left in his account. The way most of the western states do it once you draw you lose all your points. In the case I mentioned above that person who had 10 points affects the bottom line when they do the math to determine how many points will be needed for next year. If for some reason there were more than a few who drew with more than the needed 6 points that all goes into the math that determines the points needed for the next year. That is how point creep works. Every year the bar rises often faster than you can catch it. I have a very good friend in Colorado that has in excess of 20 points for more than one big game animal. I am sure flags has somewhere around the same. My friend is getting older and I am not sure what he plans to do. He is close to being able to draw one of the primo GMU's but as time goes on there has to be a point where he might like to try for a tag in one of the better areas and not wait any longer. If there were banking he could safely draw for 3 or 4 years on some pretty nice GMUs and get some great hunts in. As it stands if he puts in a tag request he loses all his points if he draws. I suppose the DOW really wants all the 20 something PP owners to die off. No thanks I won't play their game. I have had some decent luck just buying OTC elk tags.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 07-15-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

remind me in OCT,

Thanks

I mark my calendar, and wait until the final week. Rather gain interest on my Cash until then and not give WY and other states interest free loans.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

It's the final week!

I bought my deer points(3). Got the wife antelope points (1). Dad also put in for deer points (1).

Does anyone know if I can buy points for kids? Can I begin piling antelope points for my young kids to use when they turn 12 or 13??

I'll look into it more this evening.

-Jake
Old 10-24-2019, 02:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
remind me in OCT,

Thanks

I mark my calendar, and wait until the final week. Rather gain interest on my Cash until then and not give WY and other states interest free loans.
That's basically what the points system does. The money they make is insane.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

This point system is going to get dad and myself into some nice mule deer around 2024 or so .....

-Jake
Old 10-25-2019, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Does anyone know if I can buy points for kids? Can I begin piling antelope points for my young kids to use when they turn 12 or 13??

-Jake
A youth applicant wanting to be awarded preference points must be at least eleven (11) years old at the time of submitting an application for a big game limited quota license in the initial drawing and must be at least twelve (12) years old when in the field hunting.

The above is from the WG&F regulations.

Last edited by Bocajnala; 10-25-2019 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

I saw that but I'm going to have to call for clarification.

That sounds like I can apply for preference points for all the kids and build points up but not put in for a license until they are of age.

-Jake
Old 10-25-2019, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

And if thats the case my youngest will have 11 points by the time he's old enough to go. That's a heck of a 12th birthday present lol.

-Jake
Old 10-25-2019, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is wishful thinking, but I do not believe it works that way. If it did work that way you would see a train load of guys building points so that they can point average later.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 10-25-2019 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
A youth applicant wanting to be awarded preference points must be at least eleven (11) years old at the time of submitting an application for a big game limited quota license in the initial drawing and must be at least twelve (12) years old when in the field hunting.

The above is from the WG&F regulations.

I agree. But look at the highlighted. It doesn't actually give an age for buying preference points ONLY. Only an age for submitting application for a LICENSE and for HUNTING in the field.

But not for buying a preference point only. I'll call either today or Monday

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.