Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO Spring Creek Fire

Old 07-07-2018, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default CO Spring Creek Fire

I have enjoyed elk and deer hunting in Colorado for the past 12 straight years. Sadly that streak will come to an end this year. The Spring Creek Fire started (actually arson) about 3 miles from my house. The fire raged through my subdivision and the next where I hunt and just kept going. It is currently 105,000 acres and 35% contained. We received conformation that our home there was destroyed. Many fond memories were made in this house and we will miss her dearly. Fortunately we were insured so all is good there. 95% of the contents can be replaced. I lost most of my antlers and my wife lost some of her driftwood pieces that she makes which were the only real irreplaceable items. But time to move on and begin the next adventure to make new memories.

So the point of this post is to ask the following;

If you had a chance to start over, where would you move to? Things we want are a nice large home (maybe log), a nice big kitchen, Maybe some land, although 100 acres out west is like 5 acres in the east., A workshop for my wood working, deer and elk tags available every year or every other year, lots of critters to see (not nesseserily to hunt but to see and photograph). Sounds like a unicorn I know but if your going to dream then dream big!

I am 51 and my wife 56. This would be a retirement home so we wouldn’t need to get jobs. How the state taxes retirement income is a consideration, and as we age good health care not too far away would also be a consideration. I don’t think I want to get in the mountains anymore as Forrest fires would always be in the back on my mind. Maybe the foothills or valley where fire protection can be easier but not too far from BLM/State/National Forest hunting land.

I have asked this question to others with some interesting answers. If you have any advise or input, I would love to hear it.

Thanks, Rob
Attached Thumbnails CO Spring Creek Fire-bda575dd-4ef9-44f0-81ae-aaba1714b4ed.jpeg   CO Spring Creek Fire-7856b0cd-1221-4b58-9096-42e9de5733a0.jpeg  
Old 07-07-2018, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to hear that. I just got back from 2 weeks in CO the they have a real problem with the fires. Not sure if they will get ahead of them until the snow flies.

if I was starting over I'd look to the areas around Rand and Gould. Always liked it in that area. Lots of deer, elk, trout fishing and lots of moose if you can ever get the tag.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear this happened. Definitely not something anybody wants to have happen. Having insurance will allow you to rebuild or shift the funds into another location. Which leads to your question and decision to make.

The healthcare issue is always one to consider as we get older. I checked and was surprised at how many level 1 and level 2 trauma centers are in Colorado. It looks like you were possibly within a few hours of at least one or more trauma centers.

12 years of knowledge built up for a certain area where you can obviously get tags for deer and elk is kinda hard to walk away from. You know the area, the laws and were obviously successful in hunting there. There are some other western states you could consider (Montana, Idaho, etc.) but you would have to research them to find that sweet spot where you can get OTC tags in decent areas to hunt yet still build closer to a town with medical facilities and lower fire risk. It's doable but then you'd be starting over with the hunting areas, laws and tag issues as well as a home.

Judging by your pictures, it looks like you have decent access to your cabin site in Colorado. Since you already own the land, have you considered downsizing on a rebuild to make it a hunting camp with just a smaller cabin, maybe a shed or even just a place to park an RV or 5th wheel? That would minimize your financial exposure if another fire were to ever happen and give you a little more peace of mind when thinking about potential forest fires again.

With such a minimized hunting camp, you could buy your retirement home closer to a town or other minimal fire risk area with a major trauma center for healthcare. You'd still have a place to hunt that you know, is commutable and could get tags for without the risk of another fire taking out your home. Your hunting seasons would be after fire season is over so personal risk would be minimized. Besides, it'd be a shame to waste all of the good hunting that happens after a fire has gone through a wilderness area. Hopefully this helps some.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe further down in the San Luis valley near Alamosa would give you some peace of mind and have driving distance access to your familiar areas. If you want something completely different it might be worth looking around Casper, Wyoming. Casper is a fair size town with healthcare and an airport.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I can personally attest to the beauty and comfort at Rob's mountain retreat. Thankfully I have spent many days and nights there enjoying the views and wonderful weather both during hunting seasons and summer vacations. Indeed it is a loss that is beyond comprehension. Turning the page and starting over in another area is certainly possible but the friends you have made in that area along with the hunting experience over the past 12 years is invaluable. Some of the suggestions elkman gave might be a consideration. Perhaps a nice place closer to town out of the mountains as a main residence and a "spike cabin" on the land in the subdivision for hunting camp would make some sense. Depending on the level of deforestation on your hunting lands at the ranch, the animals could return with the new growth grasses and along with way less cabins making a better place to attract deer and elk. Almost like turning the clock back to a time that your friend Randy remembers fondly from his youth roaming through the wild canyons and meadows. My advice is to not rush, deal with the insurance and possibly do some visiting to other areas of Colorado, and the surrounding mountain states before you decide. I know of a beautiful house right in town sitting on a lake with more than enough room for your woodshop and a man cave to boot. Owning that one would probably be a stretch though.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

It doesn't sound like the advice you're seeking... But I would probably stay right there. Unless you just want a new adventure, challenge or location....

Your current spot can meet all your needs... It has the hunting you want, the tags you want, the access you want.

You can rebuild it however you want it to be.

And you know the area, the people and the hunting.

These things happen . And it sucks. But that's why you have insurance. Living there you know fire is a risk. But anywhere else you go has risks as well. Although some certainly less than others. Fire, floods, hurricanes, tornados, they happen.

If you want a new location, new challenge, new scenery, then do your research and make the move.. But it would require allot of research to make sure tags and access were available.

I've really enjoyed your pictures and stories from that property over the years. Hate to see it destroyed like that. The forest will begin to regrow, and you can too.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 07-08-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

yes and if you rebuild I'm sure there were things in your old home that you had wished you had done differently,
or you wanted to have a different floor plan, maybe a larger kitchen, master bath, or man cave or garage?
Old 07-08-2018, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just to clarify, I’m not saying I definitely want to move to a new state or location. I’m simply saying this is a Reset for us. We can stay, we can go, we can start over where ever we want. Every area has it’s pros and cons. I want to do my diligence on looking at all aspects before making a life long decision. Everything is on the table and up for discussion.

All your comments are appreciated because I’m sure I won’t think of everything.

Thanks, Rob
Old 07-08-2018, 07:13 AM
Dominant Buck

I think it will be hard to find an area with better hunting. The amount of animals you, your family and friends have harvested over the years is truly amazing. I guess one of the big questions will be the amount of dark timber that remains on WC. Will the fire forever change the land? Some of the pictures I saw from Bruce's place in the subdivision didn't look all that bad.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 07-08-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let us know what you decide to do. Prayers said for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.