Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elk Country and Packing With Horses >

Elk Country and Packing With Horses

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Country and Packing With Horses

Old 10-31-2003, 10:03 PM

Default Elk Country and Packing With Horses

Okay, it is Day 2 of the hunt. We' ve made it back to the main camp with the first load of meat. We gave the horses a break -- some hay, grain, and water. Meanwhile, we got something to eat, changed our clothes for something fresher, talked to the sheriff (nice guy -- just going from camp to camp checking) and now it' s time for us to take the horses and head back into the elk woods for the next loads.

We keep " our" horse on a highline. Granted, she' s tied pretty long (high risk) so she can get to her hay and grain. I wanted her to have plenty of energy for the next go round of packing....

Jack (Horse from Nebraska) is on loan for this little packing project and has more " Hilton-like" accomodations!

There are two of us packing, I' m bringing up the rear and my partner is in the lead, on the way in the terrain and vegetation varies a lot....

Timber....

Eating Dust Already....

Beaver Pond (down in the bottom)....

Aspens....

Sagebrush....

Whoa, Jack --- Time To Load Up!
(This horse from Nebraska had never had panniers on him before, we took a chance with him and he behaved like he was an old hand at it and doubled the rate we could haul stuff out!)

Here' s Jack and I, All Loaded Up with the small bull on the ridge just above Spike Camp. And now the return trip begins and then we' ll turn around and do it again! [Notice the boom mic headset, while I am packing I can keep track of everything that is going on, it will be a few hours before I am back!]

Next time back in we' ll be packing up the Spike Camp and hauling it out and packing out the last cow.... Another Story.

Never Go Undergunned, Always Check The Sight In, Perform At Showtime,
EKM
Old 11-01-2003, 10:20 AM

Default RE: Elk Country and Packing With Horses

Great pcs!! Keep up the good work, it' s nice to see a hunt as well as here about it
Old 11-08-2003, 12:31 PM

Plainsman,

I hope not everyone feels they have to have pictures to post their hunting expriences, this forum seems a little lean compared to last year. Even without pictures stories about hunting went that wrong or right have value and are something we can all learn from.

Never Go Undergunned, Always Check The Sightin, Perform At Showtime,
EKM
Old 11-08-2003, 02:40 PM

EKM,

You don' t really need pictures, but they sure help the story along. Keep the pictures coming. It' s nice to see the Colorado high country, haven' t been out there since 1987.

I wasn' t here last year but it does seem like the new post are drying up.

LOL, NBH
Old 11-10-2003, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Wow, that sure is beautiful looking country. You' re lucky to be able to hunt there.