Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

federal fusion

Old 01-30-2018, 02:10 PM
Spike

Default federal fusion

The Federal Fusion cartridge is rather renowned for deer hunting purposes. In fact, it is designed specifically for whitetail deer hunters. So, what makes it popular? To answer your query, its new bullet technology promises excellent terminal performance hence allowing you to make quick and clean one-shot kills, for a better shooting performance.

This is the kind of things that i read on the net and i dont understand why???
The fusion its suppose to be bonded and solid so better than : power shock, core lokt, power point (win.) etc etc.... so why these 3 ones don't suggest or recommend for a particular game ??..... these fusion are much cheeper than other bonded..??? not the same quality??

I hunt moose so not sure about it but i saw on paper ...7mm mag, 270win, 308 savage, 30-06 ..they are so accurate..!!!

Last edited by Capt1340; 01-31-2018 at 03:19 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I busted a feral X mouflon hybrid with a .270 130gr. Fed Fusion ammo. My one complaint was lack of expansion. The ram slipped in close, and came out from behind trees & rocks at 25-30yds.

At that range the first shot just punched a hole between the ribs on both sides. The second shot in his shoulder at stoned him dead. He was facing left, and hit the ground facing right.

But, to be fair, I'm not sure any bullet would've expanded well at archery distances. I've taken 3 other sheep with the same bullet at longer ranges. BUT... Hornady SSTs = death ray
Old 02-23-2018, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Fusion is now but top choice when i buy factory ammo. I used to love core lokts but after a few failures i switched. They seem to group better as well I’m using 30/06 165 grain 300 WM 180 grain 280 140 grain . I’ve only used them on deer and hogs as of right now
Old 02-23-2018, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I see no reason to ever give up my Noslers. Just sayin'.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

For using standard cartridges on deer, there's no reason to not shoot Federal PowerShok (concurrently re-branded as "Non-Typical"), Core-Lokt, Power-Point and other basic soft-points. They'll expand more reliably.
I *would* however suggest using Fusions if you hunt deer with a magnum cartridge at ranges less than 100 yards, to avoid extreme over-expansion. When my dad shot whitetails with 140 grain PowerShoks out of his 7mm Rem Mag at that close range, the results were ridiculous.
It puts them down, quick, but also makes a terrible mess---two years ago he shot a mature buck through the shoulder, and there was shrapnel all the way into the colon (and this despite entrance and exit wounds being far from the abdomen). This past year, he shot an older cull buck at approximately 180-210 yards, and the shockpower was devastating, but not excessively damaging to the meat.

He's since gotten a 6.8SPC, and will be using that this coming season when hunting in the East, saving the 7mm for hunts where longer shots are more likely. Otherwise, hard to justify the weight of a laminated stocked rifle.