Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bighorn Sheep?

Old 01-16-2018, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

My other sheep include this West Texas Aoudad
Old 01-16-2018, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

And this Arapawa ram from New Zealand.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by buffybr
My other sheep include this West Texas Aoudad

Aoudad are fun to hunt ain't they? Now that I live in TX I can apply for a tag to hunt them in several areas such a the Palo Duro Canyon. Only costs $3 to apply. Not the best eating of animals but they make decent sausage and jerky. I got mine in a rough rocky and hilly area down by Pearsall, TX on a place an old Navy buddy's grandfather owned. Totally free range animals. Got a nice black buck there as well. The mounts are shown in my first pic and this is what they looked like when they were laid out on the ranch front yard after the hunt,

I also took a nice Texas Dahl over by Zapata, TX when we were after hogs. The landowner didn't even know he had any or where they escaped from but I told him I saw one and he told me I was welcome to shoot it. Took it with a Mannlicher Schoenaur Model 1903 in 6.5x54MS. A really classic rig. Didn't mount this sheep, just cut the horns off.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Spike

buffybr and flags, I jealous, you both have some very nice trophies and as it sounds some great stories and memories. For now I'll stick with PA and FL for the normal and my yearly MD muzzleloader hunt for Sika deer. Sika are non native but run wild all over the eastern shore. Have yet to kill a real Stag but did get a spike a few years back.
Again congrat's on all your beautiful trophies and maybe someday I'll get mine.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buffybr, that’s a slammer Dall! Bighorns aren’t too shabby either

Nice Aoudad’s fellas. I have often thought of hunting them in West Texas. Sounds like a tough critter.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Rob. I got those Bighorns on DIY solo hunts in several of Montana's Unlimited tag units north of Yellowstone Park. I also got that Mountain goat on a DIY solo hunt from one of those same units.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:02 AM
Spike

Awesome mounts! Congrats on these hard-earned trophies! I'm rebuilding my game room and will be able to mount my flags again soon!