Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bison Meat

Old 12-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bison Meat

Just curious if anyone has shot a 3-4 year old bull and what the meat was like, I know it would make good burger, but I would like to enjoy the steaks and roast also. There are a few being culled from a heard i know of and want to hear from folks that have ate or harvested a 3-4 year old bull.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I killed one about a year and 8 months old. The meat is very tasty and a little chewy. The fillets were delicious cut about 2 inches thick and grilled to rare. You must make your steaks medium rare to rare. The ground meat makes the best chili I have ever made and the burgers are great on the grill with nothing added. If you go to hunt one, keep the tongue, I smoked the tongue from mine and it was delicious sliced very thin with a dab of horsey sauce.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

With a 3-4 year old bull, aging will come into effect. Especially when it comes to the steaks. I think the last one Dad took was close to 6 years old. Had it hung in halves for 14 days in the cooler before cut up. It tasted dang near as good and was very close to the same tenderness as the 2 year old I took the year before. And as Oldtimr stated, it makes great chili meat though I've found Moose to be better. As far as the roasts go, it's very hard to beat the old crock pot. The crock pot is the great equalizer.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

I appreciate comments, I have bison a few times a year, but have the opportunity to get a 4 yr old bull, talking to person culling herd, sounds like they should be pretty good animals, It is a smaller pasture, maybe 2 sections, fed hay, just a small herd, about 30 animals.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't pass up the opportunity I know that! Even if it's just a small pasture, Bison is Bison and it tastes good!

-Jake
Old 12-15-2017, 05:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot 4 bison and been in on the shooting of about 4 others. Most of the ones we took were younger heifers and bulls but I've eaten bison from older animals. Some is a little tougher than others but it is all tasty.

I'd like to take another but right now lack the freezer space.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Just buy another little chest freezer Flags. Of course I don't think you have the walking eating machines around your home like I do mine but those little freezers are fairly cheap so lack of freezer space is no reason to pass up on fine table fare like Bison.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I have had it a few times but it was farm raised here in the northeast and not a ranch wild grazing animals. It was good and the cuts I had were similar to beef.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I will be getting the bull, early in Jan., I have bison a few times a year, I know it is good meat. It was raised in a pasture of about 400 acres, fed hay and cake , I am thinking it is going to be some fine fair. I will let all know what I think. My family is very excited, just brought some elk down from Montana to Nebraska for them, now they are chomping at the bit for some bison, lol.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Go get em, you should get the skull done up for your den.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.