Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Bovine cattle are in my Elk area!!! >

Bovine cattle are in my Elk area!!!

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Bovine cattle are in my Elk area!!!

Old 11-02-2017, 11:31 AM
Banned

Default Bovine cattle are in my Elk area!!!

Been hunting this area of S.E. Wyoming for Elk and deer for years and have had better than average success year in and year out. But this year the Nat'l Forrest folks let a rancher bring in cattle to graze all summer. They are required to have them out by the end of September. But all of Sep. is archery here and I like to spend as much time in the woods as I can.
But every time I went out, the bovines were there and the Elk/Deer were NOT!! Ruined more than one hunt.
So, What does a guy do to overcome the onslaught of cattle and evacuation of big game? Talked to the Game Warden for that area and he assured me they haven't left the country, just the immediate area.
What experience have any of you had in woods with fresh cow pies?! What do you do about it?

Last edited by dig4gold; 11-02-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Find a different area. That's what I have had to do back in CO when I found cattle where I hunt.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have dodged cow pies since I could walk, the trick is, look down.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:57 AM
Banned

So...... go where the cows ain't?
Old 11-02-2017, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

I hunted on a Colorado ranch that allowed cattle to graze in the summer. Occasionally there were a few left during elk season. I don't think the elk like having cows around. The cows do serve a purpose on that ranch due to their ability to trample down some of the high growth sage allowing tender grass to come up. The 17K acre ranch I hunted would allow 400 some odd cattle units to summer. As fall approached they would come off the summer 9 to 10.5K elevation and migrate down near the ranch entrance at 8K where they could be rounded up. After a summer on the mountain those cows were pretty wild.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have talked to a hunter or 2 about this...

ranchers use public land for their cattle... ie don't the elk and mule deer have less feed then? ie the carrying capacity could increase if only elk and deer were feeding on those lands vs the cattle. granted the ranchers I assume pay/lease that land for their cattle?

my point simply as hunters more animals, more opportunity, sounds good to me. but of course that lack of revenue $$ would have to be made up somewhere/somehow, tag fees etc...
Old 11-02-2017, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

From my experience, cattle do not bother elk much, what bothers them is the human activity surrounding cattle, if the cattle are left pretty much alone, the elk will meander pretty close to them, that is why some outfits sell cattle decoys.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:36 AM
Spike

That would be a significant disappointment. Good hunting areas seem to be hard to find.

We can't realistically ask the powers that be to keep public lands free of cattle. Personally it seems that the critters really don't mind the others but experiences vary. There may be other factors such as motorized vehicles or fireworks or no water etc. Some ranchers and landowners have been known to herd wildlife for various purposes.

That was my favorite thing about archery. A full month of mild weather with the woods almost to myself. Think I used to log ~15 - 20 miles on some of those long days.

Flags doesn't mince words. "Find another area."

I had my own "heartbreak" this morning regarding a Royal 6x6. Evaluating my options...
Old 11-04-2017, 04:36 AM
Banned

Already mapping out alternative areas for next year. But the frustration of walking into an area that has produced regularly in the past is barren of elk/deer only to hear the long howl of a bovine!! Compounded by the fact that I am getting older and may not have many archery years in me . . . definitely implementing plan B's.
Parks and timber that show elk on my game cameras were suddenly gone. I guess there is no secret "cure" other than hunt where they ain't.Bovine cattle are in my Elk area!!!-pict0033-1-.jpg
Old 11-09-2017, 10:44 AM
Spike

I know someone who shot a moo cow. Cost him $5000. But he got the back straps & all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.