Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Bovine cattle are in my Elk area!!! >

Bovine cattle are in my Elk area!!!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bovine cattle are in my Elk area!!!

Old 11-12-2017, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

You could try to pressure federal authorities to restrict bovine use to a different period. Maybe have cattle removed by end of August. Point to value provided to local economy from hunters. Federal lands are supposed to be multiple use. If cattle graze off grass so elk are not present, that isn't multiple use.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Just got back yesterday from a few days hunting....shot a cow elk that was feeding 300 yards from cattle, along with about 7 mulies in the local area, saw many deer feeding within cattle, there were about 15 head with cow, including a small 5 pt.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I have dodged cow pies since I could walk, the trick is, look down.
https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upf...ey/guiness.gif
Old 03-12-2018, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

In my experience, you're gonna need to go higher, away from the lowland water which I'm guessing has trails with the most cowpies. As OT, says you'll need to be looking down! OR try the legal arguments but that's like David versus Goliath without any slingshot involved.

It does "chew the root" but if you're gonna be hunting the same general area, that's my only advice. Decent topography maps may help you out by studying some areas and then looking at the most recent imagery you can find online.

REM7600

PS: I've found Whitetails or Moose NOT to be as finicky, generally speaking... the Mulies stay high till later in the year anyway.

Last edited by REM_7600; 03-12-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

I have often seen elk and cattle in close proximity to each other.

For the past 10 or more year I have watched a herd of up to 150 elk summer in the fields below my house. The elk are usually in fields without cattle, but sometimes they are in the same field.

One time I was bow hunting in the oak brush of NW Colorado. I could hear large animals feeding in the brush ahead of me. When I finally got into an opening where I could see that they were cattle, I stood erect and said something like "Oh, stupid cattle" and a dozen elk broke from the brush around me and ran off.

A friend of mine used to be the Montana F&G biologist for the Wall Creek elk management area south of Ennis, MT. He once told me that he found that if they put cattle on the range early for a month or so, it would actually improve the feed for the elk later in the year.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:21 AM
Spike

I don,t know about elk but deer do not like cows, were I hunt if there is no cows we have lots of deer when they put the cows in, deer leave.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't like cows period. Must come from being chased by heifers while crossing the farmers field trying to get to the river to fish when I was 12. I ran and they chased...or they chased and I ran. It all is one big mystery to me.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

btw, if there were no cows, and one had to hunt in order to eat meat...

I don't foresee many anti hunters being that popular...

although the woods would be overrun with "hunters"