Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Season's end...

Old 11-24-2016, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

I started looking into the goats a few years ago, but got more serious about it when I ended up with a herniated disc packing a big buck out four years ago. They've been pack animals for thousands of years.

I've had horses, and will again someday, but don't have the time to care for and ride them like needed to have a good horse. They are also expensive.

Llama's and alpacas, I've never had much interest in, while they can go where horses can't, they can't go where goats can.

I used about a ton and a half of hay to feed five goats last winter. I trim the hooves with garden shears. It needs done every few months. If you some large rocks for them to climb on, it would be less often.

I didn't get mine out last summer much, so they weren't in excellent shape. I put about 50 lbs on one and 45 lbs on the other. In shape, I wouldn't worry about 60 lbs for several miles. There is debate whether you should put a max of 25% or 33% on a mature goat.

In shape, I wouldn't hesitate to put a third of their body weight on them. My two largest are about 200 lbs each. I've two two year olds, a three year old (one of my largest), a four year old and a nine year old. The three and nine year old are the largest.

They are easy going. I only use wethers (cut males). Does are fine, but smaller so more limited in weight. An uncut buck wouldn't probably be worth the trouble.

I tie them in a truck or trailer, as they will tend to get aggressive with each other in tight quarters. I like mine to be horned. There is some indication that it helps heat regulation in the summer and early fall and I want them to be able to defend themselves. Goats have been known to disembowel an aggressive dog.

I unload on the mountain and I walk. They will stay with you all day and don't have the nasty horse habit of running off to the truck and trailer if you let them get away. I've not hunted with them by my side as the panniers on the saddles are noisy. I need to make fleece or wool mantis so the brush rubbing against them won't be loud and then I'll hunt with them by me.

I'm having trouble getting the pics to link from the host, but will keep trying.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a great season. What did your Mulie score?
Old 11-25-2016, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

IDK Rob, I've never put a tape to them.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

HEY good info on pack Goats, and you had an awesome hunt congrats
Old 11-26-2016, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

I may have missed it, but what kind of goats are they?
-Jake
Old 11-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I may have missed it, but what kind of goats are they?
-Jake
Pronghorn = "speed goats"
Old 11-26-2016, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

The goats are mixed. Most of mine have alpine in them, though the horns indicate toggenberg in a couple. I've a dark brown one that is half oberhasli and half alpine. For most of our purposes, breed isn't so important. Nubians are common milk goats, but have a reputation for laziness and many of them are noisy. Saanens are great cold weather goats, but do a little less well in high heat. LaManchas, they have little outer ear, are known to be uncommonly well behaved and calm.

I've thought of irony of packing speed goats with my goats, but where we hunt, it is easy enough to get an atv to them.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

I know a guy that has donkeys and mules. He does some pulls, trail pack races and such with them. He told me if I ever want help to call him up and he'll bring one out to pull a deer with. The next early season archery deer that I get I'll call him up. Just for the experience of it.
-Jake