Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Question for big bore magnum shooters. (this means you ELKampMaster) >

Question for big bore magnum shooters. (this means you ELKampMaster)

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Question for big bore magnum shooters. (this means you ELKampMaster)

Old 10-25-2003, 10:37 AM

Default RE: Question for big bore magnum shooters. (this means you ELKampMaster)

Wolf Killer,

As I recall, you' ve got a 338 like myself. With a 375HH (the African ' 06) it doesn' t feel like all that much more gun, more but not much. A 375 Ultra WOULD be a quite a handful and quite the power house. Even so, I am a beliver in caliber/cartridge " spacing" so like some of the others here I would point you toward the 416 family since you are moving up from a 338. (Craig Boddington stated if he was taking just two guns to Africa it would be a 338 and a 416.) 458' s tend to fall into the " stopper" category and really shine under 100 yards (under 50 yards), not saying they can' t reach out further -- they can, but without a shoulder and a neck to give the bullet some umph, trajectory tends to suffer. I' d save the 460 Weatherby for the NEXT one up in size if you find yourself needing a little more of a K-Thump " fix" than what you get from the 416 family (make sure you buckle the chin strap on your hunting cap)!

416' s? Take your pick according to your taste. I went with the Rigby and I have absolutely no regrets, but I march to a little different drummer than most folks and went with the Rigby (low pressure or near Weatherby performance if you load it up) and the CZ rifle (CRF and a long reliability record) based on reports from Africa. On average the 416 parade seems to be marching straight to the 416 RemMag' s door -- and it is a okay cartridge and available in a lot of rifles.

As ColoradoElk mentioned, you can load a 416 with lighter Barnes X bullets (which have a slightly lower density but it is offset by the hardness of the copper and its expansion/penetration properties plus they have excellent ballistic coefficients) and they fly FAST AND FLAT-- should make for a hell of an elk gun, even at distance. The 416 Rigby with 325grs at 2900 shoots flatter than my 338' s and arrives with a devastating payload in terms of the Big Four: (1) Velocity (hydrostatic shock) , (2) energy (the old standby), (3) Taylor KO Index, and (4) terminal bullet performance (with Barnes X' s). 416' s are a whole new level of " play thing" -- not required for most game species perhaps but a lot of fun for those who have the simple technique and testicular fortitude to learn how to handle them. As you have experienced with the 416RemMag, they ARE strong, but not overwhelming.

Good luck,
EKM

Old 10-28-2003, 06:25 AM

Default RE: Question for big bore magnum shooters. (this means you ELKampMaster)

My favorite of the ones listed is the .416 Remington Magnum. I have a Winchester model 70 Safari Express chambered in it, and used it to take a Cape buffalo this past March. I did some research on various big bore dangerous game calibers, and it is my opinion that it is the best all around for the purpose. Here is a website where you can get some information as to optimal ranges for various calibers.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/game_range_caliber.htm

Be aware of the fact that when shooting such a rifle, it is going to punish you. If, like me, you are relatively insensitive to recoil, enjoy. While I may be insensitive to recoil, my .416 still gives me a bruise occasionally. It definitely is a trip to shoot, but is not what I would call a pleasure. I weigh 200 pounds, and it moves me back a step or two when I touch it off.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a Weatherby Mark V .340 Wby. Mag., and the .416 Wby. Mag. in a Weatherby Mark V Dangerous Game Rifle is in my future. Good luck.