Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 was it a sucsess? the srest of the story >

was it a sucsess? the srest of the story

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

was it a sucsess? the srest of the story

Old 10-19-2003, 11:21 PM

Default was it a sucsess? the srest of the story

just got home from eastern mt. antelope trip,, ihad a good trip with my son ,, but had to expain to a new camp member that i dont hunt from a truck was a bit tense in camp for a while.. how would you handle or adress opposing hunting methodsin a camp? would you invite peron back? will post full story tommorro ...
well to finish my adventurestory, at the last minute we invited another father and son to go with, the dad had not been antelope hunting formany years, got to camp ok.. next morning my son and i with another son went out at dawn on foot to see what was around , walked less than 1/2 mile from camp and saw several small herds of lopers and some ok bucks, wide open so we backed off and went back to camp.. by then every one was awake and we made finale set up and went to landowners houseto finalise boundaries acceptable practices etc. i thought it strange that the new guy asked about where we could drive in fields etc,,, started backto hunting area and was told that we would chase antelope with trucks when they get to fence jump out and shoot them,, i said i dont hunt that way so got otu at base area to hunt during next couple of days had several stalks ruined by people driving but still able to get so great memories in with my son, and good evenings at camp, what would you have done if anything about opposing hunting views????
Old 10-20-2003, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: was it a sucsess? the srest of the story

Flatheader
Sorry to hear about the " slob hunter." I think next time you invite someone to hunt you need to tell them how you typically hunt, Before you leave home. Let them know how early you get up in the morning. Tell them if you hunt the same land every year. Let them know you spot & stalk antelope.
I myself hunt the same ranch every year. I do the same thing every opening morning. I have a certain spot I go to. I get there about 45 to 30-minutes before shooting light. I sit there in that one spot until they come to me. This year my season lasted 29-minutes.
I think if you planned this trip well ahead of time with this person he would have told you how he hunted antelope?
Jim Zumbo once said, " Antelope hunting brings out the worst in people" . I think he is right.

I would say your hunt was a sucess because you & your son had a good time together. You both also learned something about hunting ethics. I am proud of you for doing the right thing.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:50 PM

I know how you feel. I t' s just not hunting if done from a truck.CHASING GAME WITH A TRUCK ISN' T HUNTING AT ALL.It' s called wildlife harrasment and in Alberta punishable by law. I' d rather hunt alone than with a$$holes like that!!
Old 10-20-2003, 08:11 PM

I think you did right under the circumstances, if you refuse to " lazy" hunt then go it alone, and like it was said before you might try and let future partners know exactly what you think hunting is. About half the " hunters" in WA road hunt[:@] They drive arouns all day at 1-2 MPH and wait for a deer to jump out.And it shows at the check out stand when for instance three years ago I bagged a forked horn, nothing fancy about a 12" high by 12" wide rack and that was the 2nd largest deer of the weekend[]? Most these so called " hunters" bag lil' knot heads usually that years early fawns that happen to get a couple bumps between their ears
Old 10-21-2003, 08:02 PM

thanx for the input, as was said i can be more assertive next time about what i expect, the experience was not good but what i heard my son say about it was confirming that i taught him right, he said watcthing made it seem like killing not hunting,this weekend we go with some other friends for deer hunting and i have already checked on ethics with them,,,wolf killer i to think jumbo was right- now the future will be my test to not disrespect the animal or the sport and follow fair chase.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:02 AM

I congratulate you too for dealing with what I know to be a very tough and uncomfortable position. They' re your friends and it' s very hard to disagree with their particular values/ethics without being either or both of you being pissed or making them feel like you' re being a fussy priss of some sort. I' ve run into it with friends as well - not only with hunting " style" , but also with simple things like taking care of camp, packing trash out, not leaving toilet paper and $hit all over the place, throwing garbage in the water, etc. Call me a priss, but I like to hunt like you do and I also like others who follow me or use my camp spot in the future to think either nobody' s been there or at the very least " this is a nice spot, not trashed out at all" . I' ve met a lot of slobs in the field - sometimes I think I' m the exception and really appreciate hooking up with folks who are on the same page. -zeke.