Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A Story for you

Old 11-05-2002, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default A Story for you

Will add the Picture later when hunting-pictures.com gets back to me with a pass word

As I write this I am waiting for my password from hunting-pictures.com so I can add it to the story. Note I try to only take sure one shot one kill opportunities. I have shooting lanes for all my stands, and the rifle is a 270 model 70. Any way here we go.
Up early for the second day ,Saturday, of the rifle season. As is my habit I was reading the rules again and the season opens at sunrise catches my attention so I check and it is 0541 hours I get ready and off to the stand with a plan to arrive about 0540. I get there, this stand is very safe I use an aluminum ladder, I eat the noise for the convenience, any way I climb up with some metallic noise and hang my pack and rifle. I don’t know why but I check my watch because it is pretty dark still 0543 hours, the season is on. After 10 seconds or so I hear clop clop clop got to be a deer noise. I look towards the noise and can just make out a shape (DEER) about 35 yards in some light bush. Deer moves a few steps and all I can see is the body with the head behind a tree. It s still dark enough that detail is difficult . I put up the scope and am right on the front leg bring it up, think - breathe, squeeze and bang!! ( I do know at this point that this is a good size deer.) Deer does a 180 and bolts down a dead end as far as the woods goes about 10 acres and big roads. I wait a few minutes and go to the hit site and no carnage, follow the exit route and no blood ( It is still hard to see detail, you know the long dusk in the woods) . look around for 100 yards or so and nothing. I decide to go back to the stand and wait so as to not disturb the woods any more and push a bad shot. This waiting is the hardest thing in hunting. I start to have all kinds of doubts, was it a dead miss, did the deer move, am I going insane and other grisly thoughts. After 30 minutes I start to explore and find some blood, a few drips, just past where I was before. Back to the stand for another 45 minutes, as I want a wounded deer to bed down hard. I am still thinking a dead on kill shot from the 270 would have shown more sign and dropped the deer in a 100 yards plus how far out I could see. More crazy thoughts while waiting, boy can 45 minutes seem like all morning. I explore again and find the blood trail heavy at 30 more yards than before. I got lots of blood. On a 10’ wide path and easily follow the blood splotches for 150 yards and there is a 200 lb 10 pointer. He was shot through the top of the heart, one shot one kill,. How he walked almost 300 yards I don’t know. He was 7-8 years old had no teeth left.
What a way to open the season, by the way my personnel best. Hope the picture attaches.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:42 AM

Default RE: A Story for you

Man that sounds like a great way to start the season! Good luck on the rest of the season, and I look forward to seeing the pictures.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:19 PM

Wow Phil... sound like you were lucky in finding that Deer. Sounds like a very nice Buck! Looking forward to the pics.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

Nice job congrats

Old 11-05-2002, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats

High Country Archery - "Driven to greater heights..."
Old 11-07-2002, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the buck for Phil.

No problem Phil anytime sure a nice buck
Old 11-07-2002, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

I'll bet that big boy wasn't walking those 300 yds. Congrats and when are "we" going hunting.

Old 11-07-2002, 10:45 AM

nice buck man. congratulations. i hope i can get me one like that one day.

RYAN SMITH
Old 11-07-2002, 02:01 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-07-2002, 05:01 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: A Story for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.