Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear & Cougar Issues

Old 08-20-2015, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RotGrub
All of you have been very helpful. What I've taken from this is 1. the problem is more serious than I thought. 2. we will get a few cans of bear spray. 3. I don't expect much help from the USFS as they would love to find another reason to keep us out of "their" forest. 4. Get another dog(s) ASAP. 5. Reach out to local hunters and take them mining...

I understand some of your concerns and take note. But I cannot allow these creatures to detour me from the wilderness and exploring. There are plenty two legged beasts hell bent on achieving that but they have failed so far. There is no place I rather be. You want danger; I live about 40 miles east of San Francisco CA and have worked as a builder throughout what we call the Bay Area for the past 35 years... I'm deep in lib country and that my friends is real danger...
My little brother (6'6" around 230 ) did what you are doing most of his adult life. Worked construction in the winter and mined for Gold in the warmer months. And did it in the same area you are in.

You might want to consider a Weimaraner which are good gun dogs and are good personal protection dogs. Or maybe a German Short Hair or a German Drahthaar Pointer.

I've had pretty good luck spooking unwanted attention away from myself with a powerful LED flashlight set on strobe. I haven't tried it on Bears or big Cats, but it works on Boar, Elk and unfriendly dogs. Maybe a high DB air horn might also prove useful. The only trouble with gimmicks is they often get forgotten in a panic.

I had an unfriendly Bear try to come in the front door of our tent at 0 dark thirty, after my brother had bounced a rock off it's head (which was really dumb). I did remember my folding knife and cut open the back of the tent to escape. Bear spray is always a good idea and actually works well on Rattlers also.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 08-20-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RotGrub
I was able to get a few cam picks from a claim just to the south. How do you upload pictures? I see the tab but it asks for a url.
This site is quick easy and free,
http://postimage.org/

Just copy and paste the "hot link for forums" link to your post.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
This site is quick easy and free,
http://postimage.org/

Just copy and paste the "hot link for forums" link to your post.
Tried it several times, it up loads to the site but when I try to link or paste to the tread it is only a link. I uploaded two pictures and I think they are being combined or I'm just not getting it. No worries, just a game cam with a bear on one day and a cougar the next day.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I kinda sat back and watched this thread unfold for a bit. You have gotten some great advise so far. I've only encountered big cats a few times in my hunting career. Never hunted them (don't eat them but I've been told they are actually good eating). But I grew up black and brown bear hunting. Blackies I have no worries about whatsoever. I'm bigger than most of them and the ones I've encountered in camp were easily scared off with me standing tall and shouting and clapping. At well over 6 feet and a good bit over 250 I probably represented a bit too much trouble for them. Momma bears with cubs trailing encountered in the woods are a 100% total different story. Dem girls aint sceert of nuttin! In my experience with bears, I have found dogs to be about the best defense one can have next to a good firearm and knowledge of using it. You mentioned Mastiffs being too lethargic? Did you know that that breed was actually designed as a war dog? They may look a bit on the lazy side but a well trained and in shape Mastiff would tear and average blackie up. I really don't know that much about cougars but I would imagine one wouldn't want to tangle with a Mastiff either. My Rotties go just about everywhere I go (they stay in camp when I'm out hunting) but I really have no worries of anything 2 legged or 4 legged getting through them without one hell of a fight.

BTW, I saw someone mentioned blackies getting to 700 pounds? Maybe in the Zoo or up in Canada one MIGHT reach that but that is HIGHLY irregular. Average weight on blackies is around 300-400 on a nice Boar. Maybe stretching to 500 in a really good feeding area.