Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear & Cougar Issues

Old 08-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Spike

Default Bear & Cougar Issues

This is my first post; no I’m not a troll or some lib posing as a hunter. I’m a miner. My name is David and I go by RotGrub. Still not convinced, go to youtube and do a search for RotGrub Mining Clan. It should bring you to my channel. The current video got me banned from my Canadian mining forums… those boys got it tough up there; but that’s another story.

I need bear and cougar knowledge; it seems they are attracted to us. My wife and I mine in CA from Columbia to Coulterville at elevations between 1700-3000 ft and wherever we set base camp the bears find us within a few days. They come just before dawn and trash our camp.

The cougars seem to hunt us while we’re mining. We work dry creeks and have had cougars come up the creek beds snooping around. In the past my lab Tug provided early warning and distractions but we had to let him go last season after 13 years of loyal service and we are just now ready to get another pup.

We do our best in camp with the food; locking up all the food, garbage, kitchen towels, tooth paste dirty clothing etc… in the truck. I have a M1101 military trailer that stores the mining gear and ice chest. We do pack in 125 gal of water and it is stored in open tanks. We sleep in tents and that’s a bit stressful…

We are well armed, but I rather be educated on issues that would prevent me from being in a bad position. USFS knows who and where we are so explaining a dead bear or cougar (out of season, no tags, already a stressed relation with USFS etc…) is not high on my list; but still below living.

So what can I do to better understand the behavior of these beasts and is there anything we can do to detour them from entering our camp.

Last edited by RotGrub; 08-19-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's a tough one......................

Everything you have done by setting up camp there is what is attracting them.

IMO - If you have the right to be there, then you have the right to defend your property & yourselves !!!

Just like they did in the ole' days; but this is a new day & age we live in - huh ?!?!
Old 08-19-2015, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

California is in a bad drought as you well know, the bears are not finding the berries and other foods they need and this will become a bigger problem for you as fall comes because bears will be in an even bigger need for all the food they can find and they will always go for the easy meal.
Any food scents will bring them in make sure your grill is locked up. You can try using an air horn when the bears come around but I would yell at them and fire off some rounds to scare them off every time, they will soon decide your no longer an easy target. Don't shoot the bears unless you or your pets are being attacked !

The cougars are hunting you and your pets and they will attack a puppy as soon as the opportunity presents itself. You are low to the ground gold panning ( if that's your operation) and you appear as an easy target but even so if they want you they will attack, ( if they attack FIGHT,) I have met them in the mountains here in Colorado big game hunting and they are not much for backing down. ( I didn't shoot I surprised them and so just backed away), I would do the same for the cats and use an air horn or shoot off some rounds always shoot in their and the bears direction but not to hit them. It wouldn't hurt to tell some bear and cat hunters the location as they can not only take one but they will remind the animals that they are in danger and it will help them leave you alone. You may also want to ask your wildlife officers what to do as you don't want to break any laws but you have to keep your family safe. Don't approach mother bears with cubs as that can be dangerous.
Good luck !

Last edited by RockyMtnGobblers; 08-19-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Put an electric fence around your camp to at least keep them out of that area all the time.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Put an electric fence around your camp to at least keep them out of that area all the time.
+1

In the event I sounded a little gruff; as Trump would say, "build a wall" !!!
Old 08-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
That's a tough one......................

Everything you have done by setting up camp there is what is attracting them.

IMO - If you have the right to be there, then you have the right to defend your property & yourselves !!!

Just like they did in the ole' days; but this is a new day & age we live in - huh ?!?!
I've already prepared myself if it comes to that. If I'm able I will not allow a bear to harm anyone in my camp. I just don't know anything about bears and so I tried to find people that do. Thanks for your advice.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by RockyMtnGobblers
California is in a bad drought as you well know, the bears are not finding the berries and other foods they need and this will become a bigger problem for you as fall comes because bears will be in an even bigger need for all the food they can find and they will always go for the easy meal.
Any food scents will bring them in make sure your grill is locked up. You can try using an air horn when the bears come around but I would yell at them and fire off some rounds to scare them off every time, they will soon decide your no longer an easy target. Don't shoot the bears unless you or your pets are being attacked !

The cougars are hunting you and your pets and they will attack a puppy as soon as the opportunity presents itself. You are low to the ground gold panning ( if that's your operation) and you appear as an easy target but even so if they want you they will attack, ( if they attack FIGHT,) I have met them in the mountains here in Colorado big game hunting and they are not much for backing down. ( I didn't shoot I surprised them and so just backed away), I would do the same for the cats and use an air horn or shoot off some rounds always shoot in their and the bears direction but not to hit them. It wouldn't hurt to tell some bear and cat hunters the location as they can not only take one but they will remind the animals that they are in danger and it will help them leave you alone. You may also want to ask your wildlife officers what to do as you don't want to break any laws but you have to keep your family safe. Don't approach mother bears with cubs as that can be dangerous.
Good luck !
The area we're in is very dry, there is no obvious food as far as I can see. I know the deer and at least one bob cat is drinking from our supply tanks. Never any bears or cougar tracks around the tanks.

I'm told that these "little" black bears are easily scared off. An from my experiences so far that is somewhat true. But chances are we will run across one with an attitude. Never seen any cubs.

The cougars seem bold. The last time we had an encounter we (my wife and I) we working a 6' deep pit in a dry creek. The cat was coming up creek. My lab was sleeping and broke into a vicious raid down the creek. By the time I got out of the pit, the cat & Tug we having a standoff. As soon as the cat saw me it took off up the hillside into the thick forest. Tug tracked this invisible cat for 30 min moving up and down the creek with his nose in the air. Once he calmed down we went back to work.

Cats seem to be daytime while bears are always just before dawn.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
You know, that's do-able. I'm almost positive where they are entering from and all I would need is a battery and some steel fencing. I'm guessing a good jolt from that might teach them.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:54 PM
Spike

We're usually in bed by 8pm. I keep my keys with the electronic alarm next to me, a big spot light and my .44mag with my special homemade cannon loads. I sleep good until about 2-3am and then very lightly. Dam bears have me conditioned...
Old 08-19-2015, 09:41 PM
Spike

You may want to store your food a distance away from camp and possibly hang it from a tree off a large branch so they can't reach it off the ground and can't reach low enough to grab it from the tree branch. Bear spray could work on bears/cougars to scare them off and hopefully teach them to avoid humans. Also make sure your being diligent with your trash removal and storage. I also suggest covering your water tanks. If your using them for your drinking water its probably not sanitary for the wildlife to be able to drink from it. Plus possibility of bugs inhabiting the water, birds etc pooping in it and so on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.