Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Update on our bear hunting issues.. >

Update on our bear hunting issues..

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Update on our bear hunting issues..

Old 08-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Update on our bear hunting issues..

This is just a short update on our Save The Maine bear hunting campaign going on up here.. As some may or may not know we are currently under attack by HSUS on our bear hunting, and trapping rules.. We have been getting everyone we can ready for the vote this November as we will try and send them packing..
Anyways here is a short video to let you know how it is going..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Fh...C8Fw8bLZgeE6iv
Old 08-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

I never heard of HSUS before. So I just googled all the information on it. Many hunters prefer fair chase & not bait. So you may have a problem. At times, I have seriously thought of baiting deer, but I can't do it legally. So most seasons, I come home with tags.

But back to bear, I've considered doing bear over bait in Canada. Then I watched videos of the bears attacking the bait drums. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Especially coming from a state where all baiting is illegal.

The hound dogs sound more interesting. I feel that is more fair chase than bait. Let us know how it works out.

Last edited by the blur; 08-06-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting over bait is not a "slam dunk". I took my son to Canada and we sat over baits for 6 nights without seeing a single bear.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

The problem facing Maine and also New Hampshire, is that you're being invaded by idiots from Mass. The same thing happened in my native CO when the clowns from CA began invading it in the late 1980's and early 1990's. They managed to get a bill on the ballot in 1992 that effectively stopped the spring bear hunt, hunting over bait, hunting with dogs and they added a trapping ban on as a rider to the bill. Due to the massive influx of brain dead fools from the Pacific coast, the bill passed and became law.

I wish you the best, but I fear you may lose this battle. The MA$$HOLES will turn out in spades for this and they very well may carry the day. All you have to do is look at CO to see that your right to hunt can and very well may be voted away from you.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will keep everyone updated as this plays out. I do believe we will beat them again but, will not know for sure until after the vote in November.. They have tried this once 10 years ago and now we are back at it again.. Hopefully we can bury the axe on this one once and for all.. Baiting up here is a way to try and get a bear with no guarantees.. The woods is thick and sighting a bear during hunting season is rare with only around 7% of them getting shot by chance hunters.. The chances of seeing and selecting which bear to shoot also increases somewhat over baiting. This also makes it easier to avoid shooting sows that have cubs with her..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 08-07-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is an interesting read for those who happen to have a difference of opinion on baiting for bear.. It explains a lot of stuff and has some great info..

http://huntfishrepeat.wordpress.com/...t-opinionated/
Old 08-08-2014, 02:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

PA has about as many bears as any state that I know of. We have no bait and no hounds. Last I checked, we have at least 100,000 bear hunters. Our success rate is 3%.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am in no way going to argue which state has the most bears as to me that does not matter any.. The issues at hand is what matters and as you have stated on the 3% rate is a low rate of kill for that many bears.. I posted that link so others could actually take a look and think about it.. As surely most hunters know that while your odds may increase it is really nothing like going to the candy store..

I hope to have a better understanding of where this is at after tomorrow evening.. They are having a Super Banquet to help raise money for this attack.. It is going to be a great event with the door price being at $5,000 plus 1 rifle or bow is being given out ( your choice ) for ever 25 people that attends and a lot of other door prizes. There will be a lot of other stuff going on as well. That is not to mention silent auctions/ auctions and a great supper will be getting put out as well. It should be a great event to help raise funding for the battle taking place in November.. All the tickets have been sold even after putting up some extra tables and more want to attend.. The weather is going to be great so we are trying to get them to set some tables up outside.. I am not sure how that is going though..
Old 08-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I meant to point out is: with no bait or hounds, you can't really manage bear numbers through hunting. With as many bears and hunters as we have sharing the woods, we have such a low success percentage. It means that bear hunting without bait or hounds is like playing the powerball.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I understand BarnesX.308 and i posted that last link to show others that even though there is baiting involved it takes a lot of work and no guarantees.. There is a lot of berries this year and apples are falling off some of the early trees right now.. So there is a lot of other food out there besides a bait barrel and sometimes bears just will not come in or are there only at night. It may increase the chances but, it is no different than someone's food plot hunting whitetails.. Any how I am going to have to start getting ready for my drive down to Augusta as the doors open at 3 and I have a 4 hour drive and a couple of stops along the way.. Hopefully I can stop by a nice little snack bar that has the best lobster rolls you can get at a decent price to boot. The last time my wife and I went by there you could not get near the place with such a line up.. Hopefully we will have a better understanding on how things are looking when I leave there tonight..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.