Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Questions about hunting blacktail does in CA. >

Questions about hunting blacktail does in CA.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Questions about hunting blacktail does in CA.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Why not "Google it"!!!
Lol you're the google and wiki master not me!

Last edited by jeepkid; 04-30-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought that would get a little rise out of you, LOL!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Seriously tho, I've googled it and asked different people with no luck.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Seriously tho, I've googled it and asked different people with no luck.
Back when I was stationed in CA (1990-1993) the back pages of the big game regulations listed the rules and regs by counties and had a blurb after each one that stated the county regulated the taking of antlerless deer and whether the taking of them was legal. Plus like I said, I had a game warden also confirm it.Back when I was there, the military bases didn't have to get any approval from any county legislatures which is why they allowed the taking of does.

Admittedly, that was more than 20 years ago. I have no idea what CA does now since I swore my shadow will never fall on that state again when I left there on 03 Dec 1993. But I do know it is still nearly impossible to take a doe and if the Game Dept wanted them taken they could get the regs amended to allow it. Since they either don't or can't my money is on the fact that the Game Dept can't simply allow the taking of does.

You could always send an email to the game dept simply asking why the taking of does isn't allowed. Personally, it doesn't matter to me one way or another since I've shot my last blacktail in CA. If I want another one I'll head to OR, WA or AK. CA has absolutely nothing I need or want.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm guessing it must've changed then. I can't find anything on it, nor do any LEO's I know know anything or Fish and Game Instructors.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just speculating here...

In KS, the number of doe possible to hunt varies by DMU, deer management unit. In some areas, these units are just one or two counties.

Now, all of that is set up by the state, but it varies from unit to unit.

Is it possible that CA's county by county regs are similar to that? It may vary by county, but could potentially still be managed by the state.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

I'll look it up again but I'm 99% sure our county doesn't have any game laws, I know they don't enforce any game laws.

Maybe CalHunter will see this and chime in.

Yep, there are definitely too many does. I've talked to a biologist in Wyoming that said we need to start shooting does too.

I looked around a bit and can't find any county regs, can you send me a link? It would be really hard to figure out because a lot of the deer zones encompass multiple counties and if each county had different regs it would be impossible to enforce.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/deer/veto.html

Here's part of the answer. It's convoluted in CA. Or as Flags put it (paraphrased of course), CA is messed up.

And here's another part.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunti.../comments.html

Last edited by CalHunter; 05-01-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

As I said, which CalHunter just validated, the counties control the doe hunting and not the Dept of Game and Fish since they have veto authority over the Dept of Game and Fish. Just one more reason not to set foot in the Land of the Looney ever again!
Old 05-02-2014, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
As I said, which CalHunter just validated, the counties control the doe hunting and not the Dept of Game and Fish since they have veto authority over the Dept of Game and Fish. Just one more reason not to set foot in the Land of the Looney ever again!
From what I can gather, no the counties don't control the doe hunts they just have a choice to allow DFG to have a doe hunt in their county. A county can't set up a doe hunt on their own, it has to originate from DFG. But, it is a good idea letting local communities manage their own land/herd don't you think?
Old 05-02-2014, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

From what I can gather, no the counties don't control the doe hunts they just have a choice to allow DFG to have a doe hunt in their county. A county can't set up a doe hunt on their own, it has to originate from DFG. But, it is a good idea letting local communities manage their own land/herd don't you think?
Did you bother to read the 2 links that Calhunter provided? They explicitly state that the counties can veto what the Dept of Fish and Game tries to do. That means they control doe hunting since even if the Dept of Fish and Game biologists say they need to do a doe hunt some idiot member of a county commission can say no. The same link also notes that CA Dept of Fish and Game wants to do more doe hunts but they don't even suggest them due to the fact the counties can veto them. Therefore, even the most clueless individual has to see that it is the counties and not the Dept of Fish and Game that decides if you can take a doe.

As to local control, I guess if you want some idiot on a county commission with no training or education in wildlife management deciding what you can hunt, then you will like it. As for me, I want trained biologists making those decision instead of a housewife from Burbank that sits on a county commission.

And you wonder why the rest the country laughs at CA and the people from there. Do us all a favor and stay there so you don't pollute the res the country with your screwed up ways.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.