Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Questions about hunting blacktail does in CA. >

Questions about hunting blacktail does in CA.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Questions about hunting blacktail does in CA.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Spike

Question Questions about hunting blacktail does in CA.

I am a resident of California, age 50. I want to hunt blacktail does only in California. I want to hunt them under the following circumstances:

1. with at least one dog present
2. with a modern scoped rifle and lead bullets
3. during daylight hours
4. in any zone that permits the above criteria
5. on any PUBLIC land
6. without a paid guide
7. on foot and not in a vehicle

Is doing all of the above in a lawful manner possible in CA?

Besides a resident license, what types of tags are need to harvest blacktail does, specifically, in CA?

How may I get such tags?
Old 04-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why do you keep asking so many questions that can be answered just by looking up things on the internet? Maybe start on this one by looking all the regs up on the CA G&F website for a starter!
Old 04-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Why do you keep asking so many questions that can be answered just by looking up things on the internet? Maybe start on this one by looking all the regs up on the CA G&F website for a starter!
I just emailed the Director of the CA Dept. of F and G with all these questions.

I figured some experience CA doe hunters might be helpful. The regs are very complex for me to understand and are not clear to me on some points.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Short answer is no. It's buck only in CA.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

Troll alert............
Old 04-17-2014, 04:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I spent 3 years stationed in the Land of the Looney early in my Navy career. Back then, the only places it was legal to hunt does was on the military bases because they could set their own rules and didn't have to go through the state and could go by the recommendations of the base biologist.

CA hunting rules are so screwed up I wouldn't spend 2 cents to hunt there. As far as I know it is the only place in the nation where the individual counties can set regs.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
As far as I know it is the only place in the nation where the individual counties can set regs.
I'm not so sure about that... The CA DFG sets the rules for the State. I've never once seen any county Regs concerning hunting.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jeepkid
I'm not so sure about that... The CA DFG sets the rules for the State. I've never once seen any county Regs concerning hunting.
Not for does. Look it up in the regs, under the info for each county it will state whether or not the taking of antlerless deer is legal.. I even had a CA Game Warden out by Placerville tell me that the individual counties are allowed to regulate the taking of does. CA has the most screwed up deer herd on a statewide basis I ever saw. I'm betting I saw at least 80-100 does for every buck I saw during the season. I've hunted in many states and never once seen that anywhere else.

CA could have some great hunting but they have let the LIBs screw that up just like they screwed up everything else in that place.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
Not for does. Look it up in the regs, under the info for each county it will state whether or not the taking of antlerless deer is legal.. I even had a CA Game Warden out by Placerville tell me that the individual counties are allowed to regulate the taking of does. CA has the most screwed up deer herd on a statewide basis I ever saw. I'm betting I saw at least 80-100 does for every buck I saw during the season. I've hunted in many states and never once seen that anywhere else.

CA could have some great hunting but they have let the LIBs screw that up just like they screwed up everything else in that place.
I'll look it up again but I'm 99% sure our county doesn't have any game laws, I know they don't enforce any game laws.

Maybe CalHunter will see this and chime in.

Yep, there are definitely too many does. I've talked to a biologist in Wyoming that said we need to start shooting does too.

I looked around a bit and can't find any county regs, can you send me a link? It would be really hard to figure out because a lot of the deer zones encompass multiple counties and if each county had different regs it would be impossible to enforce.

Last edited by jeepkid; 04-29-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jeepkid
I'll look it up again but I'm 99% sure our county doesn't have any game laws, I know they don't enforce any game laws.

Maybe CalHunter will see this and chime in.

Yep, there are definitely too many does. I've talked to a biologist in Wyoming that said we need to start shooting does too.

I looked around a bit and can't find any county regs, can you send me a link? It would be really hard to figure out because a lot of the deer zones encompass multiple counties and if each county had different regs it would be impossible to enforce.

Why not "Google it"!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.