Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need Advice on Elk Hunt

Old 02-19-2014, 03:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ranger10
Thanks for the help guys. I will look at the Trinchera and Broad Mouth Canyon. One thing I am NOT interested in is hunting in a high fence.

Several other people have recommended Utahs CWMU program. Are these generally outfitted hunts or DIY?
***I believe for the most part that the CWMU ranches are DIY, but I'm not 100% sure if you can set up a guided hunt on any of them or not. They do kill some big bulls under that program and I'd certainly really look into it before making a final decision.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

you should at least check with these guys:

http://blacktimberoutfitters.net/huntinfo.html

I suspect with a landowner tag, it will be above your budget, but they definately have the bulls
Old 02-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I grew up in elk country and have hunted elk most my life. You probably won't like what I have to say, but remember, you did ask. My advice would be to put the $10K in an investment fund and go on a DIY elk hunt in WY, CO or MT. You could do the hunt for less than $1500 each and an elk taken that way would be worth a lot more to me than one of any size taken with an outfitter.

If you're serious about a hunt like this, pick either archery or rifle. The odds of being able to use both effectively at the same time are somewhere between slim and none. You can use archery tackle in the rifle seasons in most western states but by then the elk have been hunted for at least a month so it wouldn't be easy.

Also, don't get wrapped up about an antler score. In the big scheme of things, the number of inches of bone on an animal's head isn't that important. If all you want is a big elk rack, buy one off EBAY or go on a fenced hunt. If you really want to hunt elk, the antler size won't matter because an elk hunt is a special thing in and of itself.

Feel free to disagree if you wish.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with flags. A successful DIY elk hunt with rifle is very possible especially in Colorado where there are record number of elk and millions of acres of public land. An elk hunt whether successful or not is an experience all sportsmen should have.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:21 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
I grew up in elk country and have hunted elk most my life. You probably won't like what I have to say, but remember, you did ask. My advice would be to put the $10K in an investment fund and go on a DIY elk hunt in WY, CO or MT. You could do the hunt for less than $1500 each and an elk taken that way would be worth a lot more to me than one of any size taken with an outfitter.

If you're serious about a hunt like this, pick either archery or rifle. The odds of being able to use both effectively at the same time are somewhere between slim and none. You can use archery tackle in the rifle seasons in most western states but by then the elk have been hunted for at least a month so it wouldn't be easy.

Also, don't get wrapped up about an antler score. In the big scheme of things, the number of inches of bone on an animal's head isn't that important. If all you want is a big elk rack, buy one off EBAY or go on a fenced hunt. If you really want to hunt elk, the antler size won't matter because an elk hunt is a special thing in and of itself.

Feel free to disagree if you wish.
I do agree with what you have said. I would rather do a diy hunt for many reasons, BUT with our small time frame and lack of experience, we feel an outfitter is the best bet at least for our first trip. On an outfitted hunt I agree that antler score shouldn't be a main priority considering that I'm not putting in any of the leg work to locate the elk. However, if I were doing a diy hunt, antler score would be a priority. Im an avid whitetail hunter, and when I put in many hours of scouting and preparation and put a high scoring buck on the ground, the size of the antlers give me a sense of accomplishment. I understand that not all hunter feel the same way, and I respect that.

That being said, since we are looking for an outfitted hunt, maybe i should focus less on killing a 350" bull and focus more on the overall experience of the hunt and getting to spend time with my dad.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:38 PM
Spike

Private lands usually have the best hunts as their is less/no pressure than public land. I hunt elk on two private ranches in Colorado were many record and amazing trophy bulls have been taken. You either want a high quality public unit or private land. You should look for excellent elk outfitters rather than state specific, don't go with an outfitter that says they have a 100% success rate as I have yet to see a outfitter with a perfect track record.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have worked hard for your degree and if you Dad is willing to spring for this, I say go for it! You can start your savings/investment plans when you start work. That said, I agree with your last post. Book a good hunt with a track record of producing big bulls, then enjoy the experience. Shoot a bull that excites you and don't even worry about what it scores.

DIY hunts are exciting and great experiences (I have close to 30 of them under my belt), but they are also learning experiences. You might go on this one and never even see an elk. With your budget, if you do your research, you won't have a lock on a 350+ bull, but you should be in for some exciting elk hunting.

Last edited by txhunter58; 02-20-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:11 PM
Spike

DIY hunts are fun while guided hunts are also a ton of fun. I did some research on the black timber outfitters and they look good. It looks like they have taken a good number of nice bulls. For the lower amount of time I recommend you do a rifle hunt as archery IMO takes longer on average for a successful hunt.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ranger10
That being said, since we are looking for an outfitted hunt, maybe i should focus less on killing a 350" bull and focus more on the overall experience of the hunt and getting to spend time with my dad.
That memory will last much longer. I have taken a lot of elk and it is the hunts that I remember, not the scores.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

In reality, there really isn't much difference between a 325" bull and a 350" bull....add in 2 inches to the tine length, main beams, and width to a 325" bull and you instantly have a 351" bull.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.