HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Need Advice on Elk Hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/389791-need-advice-elk-hunt.html)

Ranger10 02-18-2014 02:15 PM

Need Advice on Elk Hunt

Hey everyone,
For my college graduation present, my dad wants to take me Elk hunting during fall 2014. He has put me in charge of choosing an outfitter and I need help deciding what route to take. After a lot of research I am still kind of lost. Questions I have are what outfitters are reputable, should we go private land or public land, and which state? We are both interested in trophy quality with a good chance at a bull over 350". I would like to do an archery hunt, and he's leaning towards rifle. Its my understanding that Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, and Nevada are all great for trophy elk, but were open to Colorado and Wyoming, With a 10k budget per person (I know, my parents spoil me) what would be your ideal elk hunt?

I realize we are approaching the deadlines for tag application in some states, so we may end up having to buy a landowner tag. Would it be better to apply for several tags on our own and then choose an outfitter? Or apply through one outfitter and then buy a landowner tag if we don't get drawn?

I know I have a lot of questions, but this will be a once in a lifetime trip for me and my dad and i want to get it right. Any help is greatly appreciated.

longknife12 02-18-2014 02:54 PM

To me, the ultimate hunt, that I will never be able to do would be Broad Mouth Canyon Ranch in Utah. Rulon Jones has several different prices. Ph 208 346-6648.

Just google the ranch and see if it is something you would be interested in. BTW, congrats on being spoiled.
Dan

Topgun 3006 02-18-2014 03:24 PM

Everyone wants a chance at a 350" or better bull, LOL, when there aren't that many killed in any particular year in the overall scheme of things. With that kind of expectation and money to spend, as well as not having any Preference Points in any state to have a real chance at drawing a good tag, you will need to buy a landowner tag in a state that allows that. Several that come to mind and that have big bulls are New Mexico, as well as the CWMU program in Utah or a ranch in Colorado that is enrolled in their Ranching for Wildlife program. Go into the G&F websites for those three states and start looking at their programs and you'll be able to come up with a good ranch that will meet your expectations, but plan on spending what you said per person to have a good chance at getting a bull like you want.

txhunter58 02-18-2014 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by longknife12 (Post 4123408)
To me, the ultimate hunt, that I will never be able to do would be Broad Mouth Canyon Ranch in Utah. Rulon Jones has several different prices. Ph 208 346-6648.

Just google the ranch and see if it is something you would be interested in. BTW, congrats on being spoiled.
Dan

I have heard he runs a good outfit, but be advised that he has both fair chase and high fence hunts.

txhunter58 02-18-2014 03:48 PM

I would check into ranch hunts on the Trinchera and Wolf Springs ranches in Colorado. Sorry, I don't know if they are in your price range or even have hunts available for this fall, but they have what you seek

Rob in VT 02-18-2014 05:11 PM

I can tell you the past two years on the Trinchera Ranch they have killed two bulls in the 400" range. Keep in mind this is the exception and not the rule. The Trinchera is located in Fort Garland, CO and is 171,000 acres. Last time I checked, elk hunts were in the $8k range but that was 7 years ago.

Ranger10 02-18-2014 05:27 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I will look at the Trinchera and Broad Mouth Canyon. One thing I am NOT interested in is hunting in a high fence.

Several other people have recommended Utahs CWMU program. Are these generally outfitted hunts or DIY?

Rob in VT 02-18-2014 06:04 PM

Trinchera is 100% free range.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/HUNTING/...heraRanch.aspx

Ranger10 02-18-2014 08:02 PM

Are the tags on RFW lands like Trinchera draw only, or do they offer landowner tags as well?

LoneWati 02-18-2014 09:57 PM

Non residents can't draw a RFW tag here in Colorado! That said, they will sell you one! I would look at Southern Colo and New Mexico. The Trinchera falls in that area, but is not the only one!!! Some are booked years in advance. Good luck!